Uganda media outlet appeals against controversial damages ruling
KAMPALA: An independent Ugandan media house said Sunday it is appealing to the country’s Supreme Court against a controversial damages ruling for defaming a senior government official over a mega corruption case.
Court of Appeal judges last week ordered Monitor Publications to pay $120,000 in damages to Pius Bigirimana over a string of articles published from 2012 to 2015, believed to be the biggest such financial ruling against the media in Uganda.
The stories related to a corruption scandal which saw $40 million stolen from a project to rehabilitate northern Uganda after a bloody insurgency waged by the Lord´s Resistance Army (LRA) of fugitive warlord Joseph Kony against President Yoweri Museveni.
Lead appeal court judge Elizabeth Musoke said Thursday that the Monitor had portrayed Bigirimana, a permanent secretary in the prime minister’s office at the time the embezzlement became public, as “a corrupt, deceitful and untouchable civil servant”.
Bigirimana has never been charged and veteran leader Museveni has described him as a whistleblower in the case rather than a culprit. Another senior official, Godfrey Kazinda, was convicted in September 2021 of stealing $26.4 million donated by the governments of Denmark, Ireland and Sweden for the northern Uganda project and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
The state also confiscated a million-dollar 20-room mansion from Kazinda, as well as four luxury sports cars and about $274,000 in cash. In a two-to-one ruling, the appeal court said Bigirimana was entitled to 450 million Ugandan shillings ($120,000) in compensatory and punitive damages, upholding a previous order by the high court.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'