Three killed in suicide attack targeting Afghan MP
KABUL: A suicide attacker targeting a prominent Afghan MP killed three people including a child and wounded seven others in Kabul on Sunday, officials said, just days after Washington announced it would slow the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.President Barack Obama last Tuesday reversed plans to withdraw around 5,000
By our correspondents
March 30, 2015
KABUL: A suicide attacker targeting a prominent Afghan MP killed three people including a child and wounded seven others in Kabul on Sunday, officials said, just days after Washington announced it would slow the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.
President Barack Obama last Tuesday reversed plans to withdraw around 5,000 US troops from Afghanistan this year, an overture to the country’s new reform-minded leader, President Ashraf Ghani. The Taliban, waging a deadly insurgency since they were ousted from power in late 2001, warned that the announcement would damage any prospects of peace talks as they vowed to continue fighting.
The suicide bomber detonated himself on Sunday evening as Gul Pacha Majidi, a lawmaker from eastern Paktia province, was leaving a meeting of Afghan elders in central Kabul. He escaped with shrapnel wounds to his leg.
“Majidi was attending a Jirga (assembly of elders)... and as he was exiting the premises, a suicide attacker on foot detonated himself,” the city’s police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi told AFP. “Three people were killed and seven others (excluding the MP) were wounded.”
A squad of yellow helmeted fire-fighters used high-pressure water hoses to douse the smouldering facade of the building as the area was sealed off by Afghan security forces. In a statement, the interior ministry strongly condemned the suicide attack and confirmed the casualties, adding that a child was among those killed. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing but Taliban insurgents have stepped up suicide attacks on government targets following an Afghan army offensive which began in southern Helmand province more than two months ago.
This is the second suicide bombing in the Afghan capital in less than a week and highlights the fragile security situation as the country prepares for the start of the traditional spring-summer fighting season. Hosting Ghani at the White House for their first presidential head-to-head last week, Obama agreed to keep the current level of 9,800 US troops in Afghanistan until the end of 2015. Hours later, a suicide car bomber struck close to the presidential palace in Kabul, killing at least seven people and wounding dozens more.
Last November, prominent female Afghan MP Shukria Barakzai survived a suicide attack on her convoy near the parliament in Kabul but three civilians were killed and nearly two dozen others were left wounded. Since coming to power in September after protracted power-sharing negotiations, Ghani has sought to establish a peace process with the Taliban to end their 13-year insurgency.
President Barack Obama last Tuesday reversed plans to withdraw around 5,000 US troops from Afghanistan this year, an overture to the country’s new reform-minded leader, President Ashraf Ghani. The Taliban, waging a deadly insurgency since they were ousted from power in late 2001, warned that the announcement would damage any prospects of peace talks as they vowed to continue fighting.
The suicide bomber detonated himself on Sunday evening as Gul Pacha Majidi, a lawmaker from eastern Paktia province, was leaving a meeting of Afghan elders in central Kabul. He escaped with shrapnel wounds to his leg.
“Majidi was attending a Jirga (assembly of elders)... and as he was exiting the premises, a suicide attacker on foot detonated himself,” the city’s police chief Abdul Rahman Rahimi told AFP. “Three people were killed and seven others (excluding the MP) were wounded.”
A squad of yellow helmeted fire-fighters used high-pressure water hoses to douse the smouldering facade of the building as the area was sealed off by Afghan security forces. In a statement, the interior ministry strongly condemned the suicide attack and confirmed the casualties, adding that a child was among those killed. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing but Taliban insurgents have stepped up suicide attacks on government targets following an Afghan army offensive which began in southern Helmand province more than two months ago.
This is the second suicide bombing in the Afghan capital in less than a week and highlights the fragile security situation as the country prepares for the start of the traditional spring-summer fighting season. Hosting Ghani at the White House for their first presidential head-to-head last week, Obama agreed to keep the current level of 9,800 US troops in Afghanistan until the end of 2015. Hours later, a suicide car bomber struck close to the presidential palace in Kabul, killing at least seven people and wounding dozens more.
Last November, prominent female Afghan MP Shukria Barakzai survived a suicide attack on her convoy near the parliament in Kabul but three civilians were killed and nearly two dozen others were left wounded. Since coming to power in September after protracted power-sharing negotiations, Ghani has sought to establish a peace process with the Taliban to end their 13-year insurgency.
-
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command