Pak-US ties complicated but vital
State Department spokesman says they do not
see eye to eye with Pakistan on every issue; vows to continue working jointly against threats
WASHINGTON: The State Department has declared that the US is committed to maintaining its important and vital relationship with Pakistan even if it gets complicated at times.
Answering questions about the strained bilateral relationship, the department’s spokesperson said, “It is an important, vital relationship that we strongly believe in. Is it complicated at times? Absolutely it is. And do we see eye-to-eye on every issue with Pakistan? No, we don’t.”
Stressing on the need to keep bilateral ties going, John Kirby said, “The relationship matters so much because we have shared threats and shared concerns, shared interests in the region. And we’re going to continue to work at it.”
Responding to a question on the statement made by Prime Minister’s Adviser on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz that Pakistan’s relationship with the United States had been under stress for the past three months, Kirby said on Friday that he was not aware of the statement.
“I didn’t see his comments. So I’m going to refrain from responding specifically to that sentiment,” Kirby said.
“It is an important relationship that we continue to work at very, very seriously. We’re going to remain committed to. And I would not share that characterisation of it,” he concluded.
John Kirby has said that terrorists have safe havens in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He stated that terrorists were a threat to the people of Pakistan and Afghanistan, a private television channel reported.
He added that the United States was cooperating with Pakistan in hunting down terrorists. He further said that the two countries had a critically important bilateral relationship. Pakistan’s bilateral ties with the United States had recently taken a downward turn when the US government asked the country to finance the purchase of F-16 fighter jets with its own resources instead of the United States financial assistance after members of the US Congress objected to the use of government funds to pay for the military deal.
The US government said in February that it had approved the sale of eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan built by Lockheed Martin Corp, as well as radars and other equipment in a deal valued at $699 million. Republican Senator Bob Corker said he would use his power as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to bar the use of any US funds for the deal to send a message to Pakistan that it needed to do more in the war against militants.
The State Department spokesperson also said that the US wished to see the Pak-Afghan Torkham border remain open for traffic. It should be noted that Pakistan and Afghanistan agreed to reopen the Torkham border crossing for vehicles coming in and going out, and resumption of routine activities.
The border crossing was closed in the wake of escalating tensions between the security forces of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Afghanistan is opposing installation of barbed wire fencing along the border being conducted by Pakistan to prevent illegal movement on the border.
-
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command