Thu, Jul 24, 2014, Ramdhan 25,1435 A.H : Last updated 2 hours ago
 
 
Group Chairman: Mir Javed Rahman

Editor-in-Chief: Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman
Disclamier
 
 
You are here: Home > World > Rest of World
 
 World
 

Safety probe after Japan tunnel collapse
 

By AFP

December 03, 2012 - Updated 1043 PKT
From Web Edition
 
 



TOKYO: Japan ordered inspections of ageing highway tunnels on Monday after a fiery collapse that killed nine people, as suspicion over the cause of the accident centred on decaying ceiling supports.

 

The government pledged a thorough review and said "significant investment" would likely be required in the motorway network, parts of which including the accident site were built during the economic boom of the 1960s and 1970s.

 

"As a major factor, we suspect ageing," an official from highway operator NEXCO said, referring to the tragedy at the Sasago tunnel which passes through hills near Mount Fuji 80 kilometres (50 miles) west of Tokyo.

 

Engineers on Monday began inspections at three other tunnels in the region with the same design, as well as the Sasago carriageway. There are around 20 such tunnels nationwide, reports said.

 

Footage from inside the tunnel showed concrete panels had collapsed in a V-shape, possibly indicating some kind of weakness in the central supporting pillars suspended from the roof, experts said.

 

NEXCO said safety inspections consist largely of visual surveys, with workers looking for cracks and other abnormalities, or listening to the acoustics of the concrete and metal parts by hitting them with hammers.

 

Officials admitted that during the five-yearly check of the ceiling in September there had been no acoustic survey of the metal parts on which the panels weighing up to 1.5 tonnes rest.

 

Emergency workers were still at the nearly five-kilometre (three-mile) tunnel Tuesday, but more than 24 hours after the cave-in, efforts had shifted from rescue to recovery.

 

Three vehicles were buried on Sunday when concrete ceiling panels crashed down inside the tunnel. Witnesses spoke of terrifying scenes as at least one vehicle burst into flames.

 

Emergency workers had collected five charred bodies -- three men and two women -- from a vehicle by early Monday. One report said the victims were all in their 20s.

 

They also recovered the body of a truck driver, identified as 50-year-old Tatsuya Nakagawa who reportedly telephoned a colleague immediately after the incident to ask for help.

 

Three other deaths have been confirmed, an elderly man and two elderly women, who were all in the same passenger vehicle, officials said.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Be the first to comment
 
 
 Post Your Comments  (0)
 
 
Name:        
Email:
 
 
 
Country:     
 
 
 
Enter Code:  
 
 
 
 
If you are facing problem in submitting your comments, please click here to report your problem.