Iran wary as EU presents plans to save nuclear deal
TEHRAN: Iran said Saturday it would wait to see whether Europe produces tangible results in overcoming US sanctions before it decides whether to stay in the nuclear deal, as a top EU official visited Tehran to present plans for maintaining trade ties.
"The ball is in the court of the EU. They have presented different proposals, we will see if they materialise," said the head of Iran´s Atomic Energy Organisation, Ali Akbar Salehi.
He was speaking after meeting European Union Energy Commissioner Miguel Arias Canete, the first high-level Western official to visit Iran since the US withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers earlier this month.
Canete called the nuclear deal "fundamental for peace in the region" as he outlined EU plans to continue oil and gas purchases and protect European companies from US sanctions as they are phased in over the next six months.
He also had detailed talks with Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh on practical solutions, which he said included plans for direct payments between central banks and state-backed insurance for shipments.
A group of experts later met their Iranian counterparts to hash out the details. Zanganeh said there were no plans to change Iran´s pattern of oil exports, which amount to 3.8 million barrels per day, with 70 percent going to Asia and 20 percent to Europe.
Salehi acknowledged Europe´s efforts to protect trade but said, "We want tangible results, otherwise we take our own decisions. I personally don´t want to see such decisions being taken."
Iran has threatened to resume industrial uranium enrichment "without limit" unless its interests are preserved by the remaining parties to the deal, which also include China and Russia. Salehi said the Iranian people had lost trust in the nuclear agreement and that if trade benefits were not protected "they will lose more confidence... and we will be forced to leave."
Despite vows by European leaders to protect EU firms from US sanctions, several companies -- including France´s Total and Holland´s Maersk -- have already said it will be impossible to stay unless they receive explicit exemptions from Washington.
"For sure there are clear difficulties with the sanctions," Canete said at a press conference alongside Salehi. "We will have to ask for waivers, for carve-outs for the companies that make investments." Canete was due to meet Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Sunday.
Iran´s trade with the European Union is around 20 billion euros, evenly split between imports and exports. Oil accounts for some 90 percent of EU imports from Iran, going primarily to Spain, France, Italy, Greece, the Netherlands and Germany.
Iran has the world´s fourth-biggest oil reserves and second-largest gas reserves. But it has only finalised two major energy deals since the sanctions were lifted: Total´s $4.8-billion South Pars 11 project with the China National Petroleum Corporation, and a $740 million deal with Russia´s Zarubezhneft to develop the Aban and Paydar oilfields.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'