Trump says Cohen grilling may have contributed to summit ‘walk’
WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said Sunday that the congressional questioning last week of his former lawyer may have contributed to the failure of his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un -- even as his national security advisor claimed the Hanoi meeting was a success.
A high-stakes second summit to strike a disarmament deal with Kim broke up in disarray in Vietnam Thursday, with Trump saying: "Sometimes you have to walk and this was just one of those times."
The summit took place at the same time a Democrat-led congressional committee was grilling Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, who labelled his ex-boss a "racist", "conman", and "cheat".
On Sunday, Trump said the hearing may have contributed to the "walk". "For the Democrats to interview in open hearings a convicted liar & fraudster, at the same time as the very important Nuclear Summit with North Korea, is perhaps a new low in American politics and may have contributed to the 'walk'," he tweeted.
"Never done when a president is overseas. Shame!"
Still, US National Security Advisor John Bolton told CBS's "Face the Nation" Sunday that the summit should be seen as "a success, defined as the president protecting and advancing American national interests."
He said the issue was whether North Korea would accept what the president called "the big deal" -- denuclearizing completely -- or something less, "which was unacceptable to us." "So the president held firm to his view. He deepened his relationship with Kim Jong Un. I don't view it as a failure at all when American national interests are protected," Bolton added.
The summit's collapse followed the leaders' historic meeting in Singapore that produced only a vague commitment from Kim to work "toward complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula." According to senior US officials, in the week leading up to the Hanoi summit, the North Koreans had demanded the lifting of effectively all UN Security Council economic sanctions imposed on Pyongyang since March 2016. In return, Pyongyang was offering only to close part of the Yongbyon complex, a sprawling site covering multiple facilities -- and the North is believed to have other uranium enrichment plants.
-
Rebecca Gayheart Breaks Silence After Eric Dane's Death -
Kate Middleton 2026 BAFTA Dress Honours Queen Elizabeth Priceless Diamonds -
Sterling K. Brown's Wife Ryan Michelle Bathe Reveals Initial Hesitation Before Taking On New Role -
BAFTA Film Awards Winners: Complete List Of Winners Updating -
Millie Bobby Brown On Her Desire To Have A Big Brood With Husband Jake Bongiovi -
Biographer Exposes Aftermath Of Meghan Markle’s Emotional Breakdown -
Backstreet Boys Admit Aging Changed Everything Before Shows -
Ryan Coogler Makes Rare Statements About His Impact On 'Black Cinema' -
Rising Energy Costs Put UK Manufacturing Competitiveness At Risk, Industry Groups Warn -
Kate Middleton Makes Glitzy Return To BAFTAs After Cancer Diagnosis -
NFL Star Rondale Moore Dies Aged 25, Minnesota Vikings Pay Tribute -
Kim Kardashian Makes Huge Career Move Weeks After Going Public With Lewis Hamilton -
Shia LaBeouf Draws Attention For Sweet Reason After Spending Time In Jail Over Brawl Incident Amid Mardi Gras Bash -
Princess Eugenie, Beatrice Receive Strong Warning After Andrew Arrest: 'Zero Tolerance' -
Rihanna 38th Birthday Detail Breaks The Internet, Featuring Unexpected Huge Item -
Liza Minnelli Recalls Rare Backstage Memory With Mum Judy Garland In New Memoir