Marriage halls, shrines closed in Sindh over virus fears
Ag Agencies
KARACHI: Sindh province – which has the majority of coronavirus cases in the country—stepped up efforts to contain the spread of the infection, as Pakistan confirmed three new cases of Covid-19 on Saturday, taking the total toll of infected people across the country to 302
The first case was reported from Islamabad, while the second emerged in Sindh. According to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) officials, the patient from the federal capital is a 30-year-old woman who travelled from the US to Pakistan a few days ago. The officials added that the woman’s condition was critical and she had been placed on a ventilator. The woman was brought to Pims from a private hospital.
Sindh’s latest cases were reported in Karachi. Regarding the first patient, the provincial health department said he arrived from Saudi Arabia a few days back and was tested positive on Saturday. The second case in Karachi had no travel history, however the 20-year-old’s father had returned from the UK recently. “The parents have been taken for testing. This brings the total number of cases to 17 in #Sindh,” the health department added.
The province, which has confirmed the highest number of Covid-19 cases in the country, announced new measures to stem the spread of the virus. Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah ordered the closure of wedding halls, shrines and festivals across the province to slow down the outbreak.
The chief minister issued these orders while chairing a meeting of the taskforce formed to monitor the coronavirus situation in the province on Saturday. The Sindh Disaster Management Authority has also been directed to start recruiting volunteers. The provincial chief secretary has been directed to issue notifications in this regard.
Moreover, Shah has also instructed Commissioner Sukkur to test of pilgrims from Iran that will be reaching the city. He had also directed the officials to keep him updated “minute-by-minute so decisions can be taken at once”.
The chief minister also issued directions to the chief secretary to shut down the National Institute Management (NIM) and has directed his ministers to avoid attending events. “By God’s mercy, the situation is still under control. But we need to be prepared for every eventuality he said.
That same day, Sindh government spokesperson Barrister Murtaza Wahab said nine isolation wards have been set up in various hospitals across the province.
In addition to the isolation wards, a 120-bed hospital has been completely converted to a quarantine unit, Wahab added. Separately, a 100-bed hospital was also converted into a quarantine unit, he added.
This comes a day after the Prime Minister’s aide on health, Dr Zafar Mirza, announced seven new cases in the country. All seven of them were in quarantine in Taftan and had come to Pakistan from Iran.
-
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command