Suicide bomber kills 16 in Syria
BEIRUT: A suicide bomber killed at least 16 people on Wednesday in an attack on Kurdish security forces in northeastern Syria claimed by the Islamic State Jihadist group, a monitor said.The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the blast in the city of Qamishli killed 10 members of the Kurdish
By our correspondents
August 20, 2015
BEIRUT: A suicide bomber killed at least 16 people on Wednesday in an attack on Kurdish security forces in northeastern Syria claimed by the Islamic State Jihadist group, a monitor said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the blast in the city of Qamishli killed 10 members of the Kurdish forces, called the Asayish, and six civilians.
“A suicide bomber in a vehicle targeted the Asayish’s local headquarters in Qamishli,” said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the British-based Observatory.
IS claimed the attack in an online statement, saying a suicide bomber had used a “water tanker rigged with explosives to infiltrate an Asayish command base”.
Syrian Kurdish militia have been some of the most successful forces fighting IS in northern parts of the country.
The Jihadist group has targeted Qamishli and other Kurdish bastions with suicide operations in the past.
Abdel Rahman described Wednesday’s explosion as “massive” and said at least 14 civilians had been wounded.
The charred wreckage of several vehicles was seen at the site of the blast in the industrial district of Qamishli, a majority-Kurdish city in Syria’s northeastern province of Hasakeh.
Syria’s state news agency SANA said 15 people were killed but did not specify whether they included civilians. It said 50 people were wounded.
Arin Shekhmos, a local journalist in Qamishli, said the blast could be heard throughout the city.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the blast in the city of Qamishli killed 10 members of the Kurdish forces, called the Asayish, and six civilians.
“A suicide bomber in a vehicle targeted the Asayish’s local headquarters in Qamishli,” said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the British-based Observatory.
IS claimed the attack in an online statement, saying a suicide bomber had used a “water tanker rigged with explosives to infiltrate an Asayish command base”.
Syrian Kurdish militia have been some of the most successful forces fighting IS in northern parts of the country.
The Jihadist group has targeted Qamishli and other Kurdish bastions with suicide operations in the past.
Abdel Rahman described Wednesday’s explosion as “massive” and said at least 14 civilians had been wounded.
The charred wreckage of several vehicles was seen at the site of the blast in the industrial district of Qamishli, a majority-Kurdish city in Syria’s northeastern province of Hasakeh.
Syria’s state news agency SANA said 15 people were killed but did not specify whether they included civilians. It said 50 people were wounded.
Arin Shekhmos, a local journalist in Qamishli, said the blast could be heard throughout the city.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports