Taliban shut down Afghan human rights body
KABUL: Taliban authorities on Tuesday said they have dissolved Afghanistan´s independent human rights commission as it was “not considered necessary”.
Since the Islamists seized power last August they have closed several bodies that protected the freedoms of Afghans, including the electoral commission and the ministry for women´s affairs.
“We have some other organisations to carry out activities related to human rights, organisations that are linked to the judiciary,” deputy government spokesman Inamullah Samangani told AFP, without elaborating.
The work of the rights commission, which included documenting civilian casualties of Afghanistan´s two-decade war, was halted when the Taliban ousted a US-backed government last year and the body´s top officials fled the country.
The National Security Council and a reconciliation council that promoted peace were also shut down at the weekend as the government announced its first annual budget.“These departments are not considered necessary, so they have been dissolved. But in the future if they are needed then they can resume their operations,” Samangani said. The Taliban are facing a financial deficit of about 44 billion afghanis (about $500 million) in a country almost entirely dependent on foreign aid.
Heather Barr, associate women´s rights director at Human Rights Watch, said it was shocking to see Afghanistan backslide with the closures.“It mattered enormously to have somewhere to go, to ask for help and to demand justice,” she tweeted.
-
Hailey Bieber's Subtle Gesture For Eric Dane’s Family Revealed -
Moment Prince William 'broke Down' And 'apologised' To Kate Middleton -
Paul Mescal And Gracie Abrams Stun Fans, Making Their Romance Public At 2026 BAFTA -
EU Rejects Any Rise In US Tariffs After Court Ruling, Says ‘a Deal Is A Deal’ -
King Charles Congratulates Team GB Over Winter Olympics Success -
Meryl Streep Comeback In 'Mamma Mia 3' On The Cards? Studio Head Shares Promising Update -
Woman Allegedly Used ChatGPT To Plan Murders Of Two Men, Police Say -
UK Seeks ‘best Possible Deal’ With US As Tariff Threat Looms -
Andrew Arrest Fallout: Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Face Demands Over Dropping Royal Titles -
Rebecca Gayheart Breaks Silence After Eric Dane's Death -
Kate Middleton 2026 BAFTA Dress Honours Queen Elizabeth Priceless Diamonds -
Sterling K. Brown's Wife Ryan Michelle Bathe Reveals Initial Hesitation Before Taking On New Role -
BAFTA Film Awards Winners: Complete List Of Winners -
Millie Bobby Brown On Her Desire To Have A Big Brood With Husband Jake Bongiovi -
Backstreet Boys Admit Aging Changed Everything Before Shows -
Biographer Exposes Aftermath Of Meghan Markle’s Emotional Breakdown