Nishikori aims to ‘bring better news’ and lift Covid gloom
TOKYO: Japan’s Kei Nishikori pledged to win as many matches as possible at the Tokyo Olympics to brighten the sombre mood in a city under a state of emergency because of rising coronavirus infections.
Nishikori, a 2016 bronze medallist in Rio de Janeiro, eliminated fifth seed Andrey Rublev 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round of the men’s singles on Sunday.
The former world number four has battled a succession of injuries to his wrist, elbow and shoulder in recent years, but produced a vintage display to beat the talented Rublev.
“I was really playing great. It’s been a while since I played like this and beat a top-10 player, I think it’s been two years already,” said Nishikori.
“I was a little worried that I’d get nervous on the court, but I wasn’t so that’s a good sign, especially in the first match. I’m really happy with the way I played today.”
Nishikori, whose ranking has dropped to 69, will play Marcos Giron of the United States in round two.
After ending Japan’s 96-year wait for an Olympic tennis medal in Brazil, Nishikori is hoping to challenge for gold at home along with women’s favourite Naomi Osaka.
“This is something I dreamed of when I was little,” he said.
“I think especially now with the Covid situation, if I can win as many (matches) as I can I think that brings better news, and that’s something I’m trying to do this week.”
The 2014 US Open runner-up is appearing at his fourth Olympics, although strict health rules due to the Covid-19 pandemic mean fans are barred from most venues.
“Of course, if there are fans and spectators I will enjoy it much more, but it is what it is. I have to focus on what I have to do and not to think too much on the court,” said Nishikori.
He made his Olympic debut as a teenager in Beijing, losing in the first round. He then reached the quarter-finals in 2012 and beat Rafael Nadal in the bronze medal match five years ago.
“Experience helps a lot. At my first Olympics I was really nervous and I have a bad memory of it. But since then, I think I got more experienced, I got stronger mentally, and I’m playing well.”
-
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down