SHC dismisses appeals of kidnappers
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Saturday dismissed the appeal of two convicts against the life imprisonment sentences that were handed down to them in a kidnapping for ransom case.
Saindad and Rajab Ali were sentenced to life in prison by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) on November 25, 2016 for the kidnapping of a businessman for ransom.
According to the prosecution, the appellants had abducted Qamaruddin from the Karachi airport area on October 23, 2011 and demanded Rs2 million for his release. The kidnap victim was later released after the payment of Rs500,000 as ransom.
The appellants’ counsel said his clients were falsely implicated in the case, adding that there were major contradictions in the evidence of the prosecution witnesses, while the prosecution had not proved the case against the appellants beyond a reasonable doubt.
The counsel said the prosecution witnesses had not provided any description of his clients, adding that the identification parade of the appellants had not been carried out in accordance with the law.
The additional prosecutor general supported the trial court’s judgment and contended that six different prosecution witnesses had produced trustworthy and reliable evidence against the two appellants.
He said the appellants were correctly identified during the identification parade, which was carried out in accordance with the law, and the delay in the identification parade was not fatal to the prosecution’s case.
Private and independent prosecution witnesses have fully deposed against the appellants on each aspect of the case, he added, and requested that the court dismiss the appeal of the two convicts.
After hearing the arguments of the case, the SHC’s division bench headed by Justice Mohammad Karim Khan Agha observed that the prosecution had proved its case against the appellants beyond any reasonable doubt. The court dismissed the appeals of both the convicts as well as upheld their life imprisonment sentences that were awarded to them by the trial court.
Another appeal
In another kidnapping for ransom case, the court dismissed the appeal of two convicts and maintained their life imprisonment sentences. Mohammad Zubair and Imran Ahsan were sentenced to life in prison by an ATC on June 15, 2015.
According to the prosecution, the appellants had kidnapped a property dealer’s son, namely Khurrum Javed, for ransom from the Gulistan-e-Jauhar neighbourhood on October 20, 2008, and released him after the payment of Rs1 million as ransom.
The trial court had earlier acquitted the co-accused Salman Qureshi owing to a lack of evidence, while another co-accused Laiba had turned approver and testified against Zubair and Ahsan.
However, after the perusal of the evidence of the case, the court dismissed the appeals of both the convicts and upheld their sentences.
-
Charli XCX Reveals ‘confusing’ Toll ‘Brat’ Popularity Took On Her -
Android Phones At Risk: PromptSpy Malware Exploits AI -
Barry Manilow Gives Insight Into 'very Depressing' Doctor Visit As He Postpones 2026 Arena Tour Due To Cancer -
Margot Robbie Opens Up About Imposter Syndrome ‘crisis’ -
'Desperate' Sarah Ferguson Won't Go Down Without A Fight -
Prince William, Kate Face Major Challenge To Repair Monarchy Reputation After Andrew Arrest -
Hidden ‘dark Galaxy' Traced By Ancient Star Clusters Could Rewrite The Cosmic Galaxy Count -
Eric Dane 'really Wanted To Talk About His Daughters' In His Final Netflix Interview Before Death -
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out