War-torn Yemen at a ‘critical juncture’: UN
DUBAI: Yemen is at a crossroads, the United Nations’ envoy to the war-torn country said on Saturday, as tens of thousands of people fled the northern province of Al-Jawf after fierce clashes.
Iran-backed Huthi insurgents seized provincial capital Al-Hazm earlier this month after heavy fighting with government troops, ending a relative lull in violence that had raised hopes for a more permanent de-escalation.
“Yemen is, in my view, at a critical juncture: we will either silence the guns and resume the political process, or we will slip back into large-scale conflict,” Martin Griffiths said during a visit to Marib province. “Fighting needs to stop now. Military adventurism and the quest for territorial gains are futile,” he told reporters, according to a transcript provided by his office.
“They will only drag Yemen to many more years of conflict.” The latest clashes in northern Yemen came after a months-long relative lull in violence as the warring parties showed an apparent interest in de-escalation.
But efforts to resume a political process appear to be unravelling.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said the fighting between the warring parties in Al-Jawf has displaced tens of thousands of people to Marib province. “The ICRC and the Yemen Red Crescent Society have helped around 70,000 people, or 10,000 families, by providing food, tents, blankets, jerrycans, basins and hygiene kits,” the agency said in a statement on Saturday.
“In Al-Jawf governorate, increased clashes have hampered efforts to help patients and those in need.”
The loss of the strategic city of Al-Hazm means the rebels now threaten oil-rich Marib. At least 2,100 displaced families reached Marib on March 1, the UN humanitarian coordination agency OCHA said last week.
Al-Jawf has been mostly controlled by the Huthis, but its capital – only 150-km south of the border with Saudi Arabia – had been in the hands of the government.
Yemen’s internationally recognised government has been battling the Huthi rebels since 2014 when they captured the capital Sanaa and swathes of the impoverished Arab nation.
Since the Saudi-led coalition intervened in March 2015, tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced, in what the UN has termed the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
-
Trump Announces A Rise In Global Tariffs To 15% In Response To Court Ruling, As Trade Tensions Intensify -
Chappell Roan Explains Fame's Effect On Mental Health: 'I Might Quit' -
AI Processes Medical Data Faster Than Human Teams, Research Finds -
Sarah Ferguson’s Friend Exposes How She’s Been Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Release -
Jelly Roll Explains Living With 'severe Depression' -
Charli XCX Applauds Dave Grohl’s 'abstract' Spin On Viral ‘Apple’ Dance -
Anna Sawai Opens Up On Portraying Yoko Ono In Beatles Film Series -
Eric Dane's Wife Rebecca Gayheart Shares Family Memories Of Late Actor After ALS Death -
Palace Wants To ‘draw A Line’ Under Andrew Issue: ‘Tried And Convicted’ -
Eric Dane's Girlfriend Janell Shirtcliff Pays Him Emotional Tribute After ALS Death -
King Charles Faces ‘stuff Of The Nightmares’ Over Jarring Issue -
Sarah Ferguson Has ‘no Remorse’ Over Jeffrey Epstein Friendship -
A$AP Rocky Throws Rihanna Surprise Birthday Dinner On Turning 38 -
Andrew Jokes In Hold As BAFTA Welcomes Prince William -
Sam Levinson Donates $27K To Eric Dane Family Fund After Actor’s Death -
Savannah Guthrie Mother Case: Police Block Activist Mom Group Efforts To Search For Missing Nancy Over Permission Row