close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
March 8, 2019

Malaysian PM warns Philippines

World

AFP
March 8, 2019

MANILA: Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamed on Thursday warned the Philippines against letting in foreigners who could "disturb" the country’s domestic political stability, as President Rodrigo Duterte’s Beijing pivot sparks an influx of Chinese workers.

At least 200,000 Chinese have flocked to Manila since Duterte’s 2016 election, many of them employed by online gaming firms that cater to Chinese players, a Philippine Senate inquiry was told late last year. Some Filipino politicians have alleged this drives up property prices, takes away jobs from locals and even affects tax revenues.

Mahathir, who has suspended several of his nation’s major projects with China, warned during an official visit to the Philippines against allowing a surge of foreigners. "Foreign direct investment should not involve bringing huge numbers of foreigners to live in the country, because that might disturb the political equations in the country," Mahathir told ABS-CBN television in an interview.

"If huge numbers of any foreigners (come) to live and stay in the country... you have to do some rethinking as to whether it is good or bad, or the limits that you have to impose on them," Mahathir said.

Mahathir, 93, is in the Philippines for the first time since his shock election victory last year. He held talks with Duterte and addressed a business forum after the television interview. The Malaysian leader has taken a cautious approach to relations with China, saying he would discuss "unfair" terms of deals signed by his predecessor, Najib Razak.

Duterte’s pursuit of closer ties with China for the Philippines -- a traditional ally of the United States -- has prompted a surge of Chinese worker arrivals. Last year legislators said around 200,000 Chinese were working in the country, and vowed to introduce protection for Filipinos.

Philippine Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez had also said he would ensure that foreigners working in the nation’s offshore gaming industry paid taxes. But Duterte last month said Chinese workers should be allowed to continue staying in the country as Beijing also hosted hundreds of thousands of Filipinos. Most of them are domestic workers in Hong Kong.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus