SHC upholds NTS test results, rejects govt’s notification
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday set aside the provincial government’s November 11 notification cancelling the test results for admissions in public medical colleges and universities as well as the health department’s enquiry into the alleged paper leak.
The SHC’s division bench headed by Justice Munib Akhtar directed the health department, the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and all medical institutions to continue and swiftly complete admissions in MBBS and BDS programmes on the basis of the test conducted by the National Testing Service (NTS) on October 22.
On the basis of the findings of the health department’s enquiry committee, the chief minister had ordered cancelling the entry test’s results and announced that the students would have to retake the test.
The petitioners, who are medical students, had earlier told the court that after the test results were announced, rumours were spread on social media that the question paper was leaked a day before the test.
They said the health department, without any lawful authority or justification, gave benefit to the failed students and constituted a committee to investigate the alleged leak, an action that was beyond its scope and jurisdiction.
The petitioners’ counsel, Anwar Mansoor Khan, informed the court that the provincial government had no authority to cancel the results of the test conducted by the NTS. The additional advocate general told the court that the provincial government had cancelled the test results after the health department’s enquiry report showed that the entry test was mishandled by the NTS and it failed to secure its printing press along with trained staff.
On Tuesday the bench observed in its judgment that the evidence was not enough to warrant cancelling the admission test, saying that the Sindh government’s notification was without jurisdiction and could not stand.
The bench also observed that none of the complainants who appeared before the enquiry committee could prove that the paper was leaked, saying that the body’s findings had said the allegation could only be proved by a premier investigation agency.
On the subject of the government’s power to cancel the test results, the court said that even though the health secretary chaired the enquiry committee, it did not mean that the government as a whole, or even the health department, was empowered to decide such matters.
The court also said that disputed questions considered out of syllabus could not be decided in such proceedings, and ordered completing the admission process swiftly on the basis of the results of the October 22 entry test.
The bench said that all deadlines and time frames under the regulations should be extended suitably, if necessary, from time to time, by the provincial committee constituted under the regulations.
The bench also suspended the operation of judgment for 10 days to enable any aggrieved person or party to avail the remedy of appeal, but during this period the government’s November 11 notification would stand suspended.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years