Civil work on BRT project to be completed in 6 months, PHC told
By Bureau report
November 22, 2017
PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) was told on Tuesday that the civil work on the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project would be completed within the stipulated time of six months.
Defending the provincial government in the writ petition and applications against the BRT project in the high court, the Advocate General (AG) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Abdul Latif Yousafzai argued that the civil work on the project would be completed within the six months.
However, the AG cleared before the bench that the project is divided into three phases as in the first phase the civil work, which is continued day and night, will be completed within six months as claimed by the provincial government before start of the project.
He submitted that the second phase of the project is operational work, in which the vehicles would be purchased to run the service and the third phase is
about the leftover issues of the project. He submitted that it was a mega project and under this project employees would be paid for three years.
About the background of the project, he submitted that first the project was signed between the government of Pakistan and Asian Development Bank in 2013 and feasibility study of the project was completed in October 2016. He submitted that the federal government is guarantor between the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government and Asian Development Bank in the mega project.
He submitted that it was a mega project and that was why a grace period of 5 years had been given for the project till 2021.
About the question raised in the petition that the Local Government, Peshawar, had not taken into confidence in the project, he stated that under the KP Urban and Mass Transit Act 2016, there is no need to take the local government on board on such like mega projects.
Earlier, Abid Zarif, an environmentalist, who had moved an application in the main writ petition, submitted before the bench that city
was paralysed due to no traffic plan for the BRT project as there was a worst traffic jam.
He further submitted that 360 buildings or shops to be demolished but no notice was given to the owners under section 4 of the Land Acquisition Act and the PDA statement about getting NOC from the Cantonment Board is ambiguous, which seem that no NOC was issued to the PDA for the project.
The court adjourned the case till today.
Defending the provincial government in the writ petition and applications against the BRT project in the high court, the Advocate General (AG) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Abdul Latif Yousafzai argued that the civil work on the project would be completed within the six months.
However, the AG cleared before the bench that the project is divided into three phases as in the first phase the civil work, which is continued day and night, will be completed within six months as claimed by the provincial government before start of the project.
He submitted that the second phase of the project is operational work, in which the vehicles would be purchased to run the service and the third phase is
about the leftover issues of the project. He submitted that it was a mega project and under this project employees would be paid for three years.
About the background of the project, he submitted that first the project was signed between the government of Pakistan and Asian Development Bank in 2013 and feasibility study of the project was completed in October 2016. He submitted that the federal government is guarantor between the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government and Asian Development Bank in the mega project.
He submitted that it was a mega project and that was why a grace period of 5 years had been given for the project till 2021.
About the question raised in the petition that the Local Government, Peshawar, had not taken into confidence in the project, he stated that under the KP Urban and Mass Transit Act 2016, there is no need to take the local government on board on such like mega projects.
Earlier, Abid Zarif, an environmentalist, who had moved an application in the main writ petition, submitted before the bench that city
was paralysed due to no traffic plan for the BRT project as there was a worst traffic jam.
He further submitted that 360 buildings or shops to be demolished but no notice was given to the owners under section 4 of the Land Acquisition Act and the PDA statement about getting NOC from the Cantonment Board is ambiguous, which seem that no NOC was issued to the PDA for the project.
The court adjourned the case till today.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final