Ex-soccer boss Leoz can be extradited: court
By afp
November 18, 2017
ASUNCION: A court in Paraguay ruled Thursday that ex-South American soccer chief Nicolas Leoz could be extradited to face trial in the United States over alleged bribery and money laundering.
However the judge, Humberto Otazu, said his ruling was conditional on a medical board being set up to evaluate the health of 89-year-old Leoz.
His lawyer Ricardo Preda told AFP last week that Leoz is in frail health and receiving round-the-clock nursing care. He said he would appeal a decision to extradite his client.One of the main suspects in the huge FifaGate scandal being investigated by the US Justice Department, Leoz is currently under house arrest in Asuncion.
The former president of the Confederation of South American Football (Conmebol) is suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights for games.
He denies any wrongdoing.Several former world soccer bosses are on trial in New York, where witness testimony has exposed rampant corruption in the business of world football.
The FIFA corruption trial began Monday, two and a half years after the United States unveiled the largest graft scandal in the history of world soccer.Three South American defendants are in the dock, charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.
Juan Angel Napout, former head of Conmebol and vice-president of FIFA, Jose Maria Marin, former head of Brazil’s football federation, and ex-chief of Peru’s soccer federation Manuel Burga.
Burga was Wednesday accused of making a neck-slashing gesture in court to intimidate a witness and the judge ordered him to be confined with GPS monitoring and to communicate only with his lawyer.The court has heard evidence from the witness, sports marketing company director Alejandro Burzaco, that millions of dollars in bribes were paid for TV rights to major tournaments.
Burzaco said he bribed all three defendants, alleging that Marin received payments of $300,000, going up to $450,000 a year.Bribes were sent by wire transfer to Swiss bank accounts or passed on as cash “in bags or envelopes,” he said.Fox Pan American Sports, part of 21st Century Fox, Brazil’s TV Globo, Argentine group Full Play and Spain’s MediaPro were among those who paid, according to his testimony.
However the judge, Humberto Otazu, said his ruling was conditional on a medical board being set up to evaluate the health of 89-year-old Leoz.
His lawyer Ricardo Preda told AFP last week that Leoz is in frail health and receiving round-the-clock nursing care. He said he would appeal a decision to extradite his client.One of the main suspects in the huge FifaGate scandal being investigated by the US Justice Department, Leoz is currently under house arrest in Asuncion.
The former president of the Confederation of South American Football (Conmebol) is suspected of receiving millions of dollars in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights for games.
He denies any wrongdoing.Several former world soccer bosses are on trial in New York, where witness testimony has exposed rampant corruption in the business of world football.
The FIFA corruption trial began Monday, two and a half years after the United States unveiled the largest graft scandal in the history of world soccer.Three South American defendants are in the dock, charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.
Juan Angel Napout, former head of Conmebol and vice-president of FIFA, Jose Maria Marin, former head of Brazil’s football federation, and ex-chief of Peru’s soccer federation Manuel Burga.
Burga was Wednesday accused of making a neck-slashing gesture in court to intimidate a witness and the judge ordered him to be confined with GPS monitoring and to communicate only with his lawyer.The court has heard evidence from the witness, sports marketing company director Alejandro Burzaco, that millions of dollars in bribes were paid for TV rights to major tournaments.
Burzaco said he bribed all three defendants, alleging that Marin received payments of $300,000, going up to $450,000 a year.Bribes were sent by wire transfer to Swiss bank accounts or passed on as cash “in bags or envelopes,” he said.Fox Pan American Sports, part of 21st Century Fox, Brazil’s TV Globo, Argentine group Full Play and Spain’s MediaPro were among those who paid, according to his testimony.
-
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis