Goods transporters call off protest after govt’s assurances
Goods transporters called off their protest on Monday after their successful negotiations with the Sindh government during a meeting in which transporters briefed government officials about the difficulties and other issues they have been facing due to lawyers’ protests.
Transport Minister Sharjeel Memon assured the transporters’ delegation that the government would address their concerns and resolve their issues. He admitted that transporters are facing difficulties due to vehicles being stuck as a result of protests.
Memon said shipping companies and importers would be requested not to put pressure on transporters. He said the business system across Pakistan has been severely affected by protests, adding that the provincial government is fully aware of the problems being faced by transporters and business owners.
Later, Memon and a transporters’ delegation visited Mai Kolachi Road at the site of tran porters’ protest. He told the protesters that the government is fully aware that transporters have been experiencing difficulties for some time.
He informed them that a meeting held earlier in the day made some important decisions. A committee has also been formed to investigate into the vehicles burned in different incidents, with the Karachi commissioner and the transport secretary overseeing the inquiry and arranging compensation for the damages.
He said that thousands of vehicles are stuck due to sit-ins, with food items, livestock and other goods being delayed. He added that the Sindh chief minister has spoken with the prime minister and recommended convening a Council of Common Interests meeting soon.
He expressed hope that good news would follow, and that all roads would be reopened. “We want all transport to reach its destinations as soon as possible.” He said the Sindh chief secretary would write to shipping companies to ensure that no additional fares or fines are imposed on transporters. He emphasised that every Pakistani needs to acknowledge their responsibility.
-
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul