PHC stays recruitment process in Pesco
PESHAWAR: Suspending the implementation of a new recruitment advertisement issued by the Peshawar Electric Supply Company (Pesco), the Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Thursday ordered a stay on the hiring process.
A two-member bench comprising Justice Ejaz Anwar and Justice Fazal Subhan issued the verdict during the hearing of a writ petition filed by Waqar Khan and others.The court also issued notices to the Ministry of Energy and other relevant parties, directing them to submit their responses within 14 days.
Advocate Khalid Rehman, counsel for the petitioners, informed the court that Pesco had initially advertised several vacancies in 2022. Following the advertisement, he said, written tests and interviews were conducted and the petitioners’ names appeared in the provisional merit list. They were subsequently shortlisted and appeared for interviews.
However, before final appointments could be made, he said, the federal government imposed a ban on recruitment, citing financial constraints as the reason.According to the petitioner’s counsel, the advertised posts included around 500 positions for Line Superintendents (LS-1 and LS-2), with over 4,000 total vacancies announced at the time. In 2023, the authorities reportedly decided to proceed with the recruitment for certain posts, including Grade-15 Commercial Assistants and Grade-14 LS-2 positions. The petitioners were again included in the selection process and qualified on merit.
Despite this, he said, the Pesco sent a request to the Ministry of Energy seeking approval to finalise appointments. Instead of granting permission, he said, the ministry directed Pesco to cancel the previous process and issue a fresh advertisement.
Challenging this move, the petitioners filed a writ in the PHC, arguing that the new advertisement was illegal and unjust, as they had already undergone the complete selection process and deserved to be appointed.
After hearing the initial arguments, the court issued a stay order on the new advertisement and sent notices to Wapda, Pesco, and the Ministry of Energy, requiring them to submit written replies within two weeks.
-
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos -
Eric Dane Opened Up About Releasing His Memoir Just Two Months Before His Death Due To ALS Complications -
Zendaya, Tom Holland Already Married? Actress Shows Off New Ring -
King Charles Holds Emergency Meeting After Andrew Arrest: 'Abdication Is Not Happening' -
Amazon Can Be Sued Over Sodium Nitrite Suicide Cases, US Court Rules -
'Vikings' Star Mourns Eric Dane's Death -
Patrick Dempsey Reveals Eric Dane's Condition In Final Days Before Death -
'Heartbroken' Nina Dobrev Mourns Death Of Eric Dane: 'He'll Be Deeply Missed' -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: What Happened When A Royal Was Last Tried? -
Alyssa Milano Expresses Grief Over Death Of 'Charmed' Co-star Eric Dane -
Prince William, Kate Middleton Camp Reacts To Meghan's Friend Remarks On Harry 'secret Olive Branch' -
Daniel Radcliffe Opens Up About 'The Wizard Of Oz' Offer -
Channing Tatum Reacts To UK's Action Against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Brooke Candy Announces Divorce From Kyle England After Seven Years Of Marriage -
Piers Morgan Makes Meaningful Plea To King Charles After Andrew Arrest -
Sir Elton John Details Struggle With Loss Of Vision: 'I Can't See'