Interior ministry directed to decide applications of Afghan refugees
A bench headed by Justice Wiqar Ahmad issued these directives while hearing multiple petitions
PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Wednesday directed the Ministry of Interior to decide on the pending citizenship applications submitted by Afghan refugees holding Proof of Registration (PoR) cards.
The court also ordered the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) to address complaints related to delays in issuing Pakistan Origin Cards and submit a report on the matter.
A bench headed by Justice Wiqar Ahmad issued these directives while hearing multiple petitions.
Saifullah Mohib Kakakhel, representing the petitioners, informed the court that his clients were Afghan refugees who had been residing in Pakistan for several years.
He argued that under Pakistani law, any foreign national who lived in the country for four years, was eligible to apply for citizenship. He cited Section 3 of the Naturalization Act, 1926, to support his argument.
The petitioners maintained that despite fulfilling the legal requirements, the Ministry of Interior had repeatedly refused to accept their applications.
Kakakhel contended that while the law for granting citizenship to foreigners existed, it was not being implemented in letter and spirit.
The court, while disposing of the petitions, forwarded them to the Ministry of Interior and instructed the relevant officials to process the applications in accordance with Section 3 of the Naturalization Act.
In a related case regarding delays in the issuance of Pakistan Origin Cards and non-compliance with court orders, Kakakhel told the court that Nadra was showing reluctance in processing the applications of Afghan refugees. He claimed that influential people were being granted Pakistan Origin Cards, whereas long-term Afghan residents — many of whom were born in Pakistan and possessed complete documentation — were being turned away due to lack of influence.
The court directed Nadra officials to hold a hearing on May 5 to address the complaints of all affected people and ensure timely processing of their applications. Nadra was ordered to submit a report at next hearing scheduled for May 16.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child