PAC orders probe into ‘dubious spending’ on govt flats by works department
The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the Sindh Assembly on Monday ordered the officials concerned to launch an investigation into the allegation that the provincial works and services department had spent millions of rupees on repair and maintenance of residential flats for government employees in Karachi despite the fact that they are under illegal occupation.
The committee held its meeting in the committee room of the Sindh Assembly to consider audit paras pertaining to the accounts of the works and services department. PAC Chairman Nisar Ahmed Khuhro chaired the meeting.
The committee was informed that up to 70 per cent of flats in the Landhi area for government employees were under illegal occupation. Those involved in illegal occupation included Afghan refugees and criminals.
The committee was briefed that a total of 321 flats had been purchased by the Services and General Administration Department from the Pakistan Housing Authority to provide accommodation to the government personnel.
Up to 30 per cent flats were allotted to the bona fide government staffers, while the remaining 70 per cent of the flats were under illegal occupation. The PAC chairman expressed displeasure with the apathy shown by the relevant officials towards the flats under illegal occupation.
A chief engineer of the works and services department told the PAC members that the repair and maintenance budget had been spent to build up to 30 per cent incomplete portion of the flats.
He said the Sindh government's home department was responsible for vacating the flats under illegal occupation. The works and services department only builds and maintains such buildings. The PAC asked the Sindh government's secretary general administration to submit to t a progress report on vacating the occupied flats.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'