Pakistan facing terrorism but nation is united, says Sharjeel

By Salis bin Perwaiz
March 19, 2025

Sindh Senior Minister for Information and Transport Sharjeel Inam Memon speaks during a meeting on April 28, 2024. — Facebook@SharjeelInamMemon
Sindh Senior Minister for Information and Transport Sharjeel Inam Memon speaks during a meeting on April 28, 2024. — Facebook@SharjeelInamMemon

Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on Tuesday said Pakistan is facing a major challenge of terrorism, but the entire nation stands united against it. The recent wave of terrorism was initiated at the behest of enemy nations, he added.

Speaking to the media at the Sindh Assembly Media Corner, Memon regretted the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) refusal to participate in the in-camera national security briefing. He claimed that India is involved in acts of terrorism in Pakistan.

He said that national issues concern the entire nation, and in every difficult situation, unity is essential, but the PTI does not stand with the state even at this critical juncture. They will not participate in national affairs unless party founder Imran Khan allows it, he added.

He also said that according to evidence available with security agencies, India is behind acts of terrorism in Pakistan. He recalled that on October 18, hundreds of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) workers had been attacked by terrorists.

Despite being attacked, the PPP has never been shy of condemning terrorism publicly and has always spoken against terrorism, he added. He pointed out that terrorist outfits have time and again targeted the PPP, yet it remains the only party that has most forcefully confronted terrorism.

Memon said the parties that had previously supported Taliban are now unwilling to attend the national security meeting. He criticised the PTI for politicising security issues, which, he pointed out, has been a continuing trend.

He said the Army Public School attack and the Bannu jail break had occurred during the PTI’s government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. “Even today the chief minister can’t go to his constituency.”

He also said the police force is not in a position to patrol the streets at night. He blamed the PTI government for all these failures and acts of incompetence.

Memon said that all the political parties and institutions, and the establishment must work together to address these issues, as the flames that are burning Balochistan today can start blazing anywhere tomorrow. He stressed that everyone needs to make decisions together for Pakistan’s security and welfare.

Responding to a question, he commented that even when the Quetta corps commander incident happened, PTI founder Khan’s supporters and trolls ran a negative campaign on social media.

He said that following the Jaffar Express tragedy, PTI trolls kept running a disgusting campaign in coordination with all those who directly took part in these incidents. He asked whether this nexus suggests that the PTI is unwilling to miss any opportunity to harm Pakistan.

He also asked if those taking funds from India are running a campaign on social media against their own country on the directives of their benefactors. He said if a party continues to conspire against Pakistan, such actions cannot be ignored.

He also said the PPP and the Sindh government would not compromise on the Indus water issue under any circumstances, and would not allow any canal to be constructed on the Indus River.

He emphasised that the message is clear: no matter what happens, canals would not be allowed to be built; this is a firm stance from the leadership of the PPP. Memon said that all the parties in the provincial assembly have unanimously passed a resolution against the construction of canals. Journalists will be sent after Eid to observe first-hand the work being done on the canals, he added.

He said that there is no country in the world where illegal immigrants are given free rein. Such irresponsible statements come from the misguided members of the PTI, he added.