Wimbledon replaces line judges with electronic system
LONDON: Wimbledon announced Wednesday that it is scrapping its iconic line judges in favour of electronic line-calling from 2025, changing the face of the grass-court tournament.
Smartly dressed umpires and line judges are as much part of the 147-year-old Grand Slam as strawberries and cream and the all-white kit that players must wear. But Wimbledon has now fallen into line with other tournaments around the world, saying the move is to “balance tradition and innovation”.
The men’s ATP Tour in 2023 announced the tour-wide adoption of electronic line-calling (ELC) from 2025 in a move to “optimise accuracy and consistency across tournaments”, with the women’s WTA Tour moving in the same direction.
The technology is used at the Australian Open and US Open, though the French Open remains an outlier among the four Grand Slams. The All England Club announced it would make the switch to live ELC from next year.
“The officiating technology will be in place for all Championships and qualifying match courts and cover the ‘out’ and ‘fault’ calls that have previously been made by line umpires,” it said in a statement on Wednesday.
Tournament chiefs said the decision to use ELC, which builds on existing ball-tracking and line-calling technology, was made following extensive testing during this year’s Championships. Since 2007, Hawk-Eye has assisted the officials at Wimbledon on certain courts, with players able to challenge line calls.
“The decision to introduce live electronic line calling at the Championships was made following a significant period of consideration and consultation,” said All England Club chief executive Sally Bolton.
“Having reviewed the results of the testing undertaken at the Championships this year, we consider the technology to be sufficiently robust and the time is right to take this important step in seeking maximum accuracy in our officiating. “For the players, it will offer them the same conditions they have played under at a number of other events on tour.
-
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’ -
Inside Kim Kardashian's Brain Aneurysm Diagnosis -
Farmers Turn Down Millions As AI Data Centres Target Rural Land -
Trump Announces A Rise In Global Tariffs To 15% In Response To Court Ruling, As Trade Tensions Intensify