SHC directs interior, defence secretaries to submit reports on missing persons
The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Thursday directed the secretaries of federal interior and defence ministries to seek reports on missing persons from internment centres and produce them before the court.
Hearing petitions against enforced disappearance of citizens, a division bench of the SHC headed by Justice Naimatullah Phulpoto observed that reports from internment centres as well as police of other provinces had not been filed despite the court orders.
The high court observed that several joint investigation teams (JIT) and provincial task force sessions had been held for recovery of missing persons but to no avail. The SHC observed that a JIT was directed to seek DNA record of the missing persons for matching with the record of unclaimed dead bodies and to collect fresh travel history of such missing persons.
A deputy attorney general told the high court that he had requested the ministry of interior to call reports from internment centres. The SHC observed that the replies of the interior and defence ministries had not been filed yet with regard to detention of missing persons in internment centres.
The SHC warned the secretaries of the ministries of defence and interior to collect reports from the internment centres with regard to the presence of missing persons and produce the reports before the court by the next date of hearing or else appropriate orders shall be passed.
The high court directed the home secretary and relevant officers to repeat the sessions of joint investigation teams and the provincial task force and submit compliance reports on the next date of hearing.
While hearing petitions against disappearance of Yonus Khan and Saqib Afridi, the high court was informed that the two men had not been found in any internment centre of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The bench directed the home department to repeat the JIT and task force sessions and submit a progress report on next date of hearing.
In another missing person case, the counsel for the petitioner submitted that the petition for the recovery of detained person had been in place since 2015 and now the petitioner was suffering from various ailments, including cancer, and required financial help.
A provincial law officer submitted that he would take up the matter with high-ups of the home department so that some financial assistance may be provided to the petitioner.
The SHC directed the police investigation DIG to entrust the investigation of the case to an officer not below the rank of a DSP to investigate the case and submit a compliance report.
-
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years -
Eric Dane Drops Raw Confession For Rebecca Gayheart In Final Interview -
Trump Announces New 10% Global Tariff After Supreme Court Setback -
Influencer Dies Days After Plastic Surgery: Are Cosmetic Procedures Really Safe? -
Eric Dane Confesses Heartbreaking Regret About Daughters' Weddings Before Death -
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Reveals Stage 1 Cervical Cancer Diagnosis