Supreme Court told errors in previous Reko Diq project corrected
The federal government informed the Supreme Court that the previous Reko Diq project contained numerous errors that were corrected in the new one
ISLAMABAD: The federal government on Wednesday informed the Supreme Court that the previous Reko Diq project contained numerous errors that were corrected in the new one.
A five-member larger bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Umer Ata Bandial and comprising Justice Ijazul Ahsen, Justice Muneeb Akhtar, Justice Yahya Afridi and Justice Jamal Khan Mandokel, heard the Presidential Reference on the new Reko Diq project.
Additional Attorney-General Aamir Rehman, while continuing his arguments, submitted that last year the Balochistan Assembly was briefed in detail on the new project of Reko Diq. After the briefing, the Balochistan Assembly had this year in June made amendments to rules. The law officer said that there were numerous errors in the old project that were now removed to make the new project feasible.
He submitted that the contract for exploration of minerals is only awarded to a company having requisite licence. The AAG submitted that the apex court had declared illegal the previous agreement for Reko Diq as no proper feasibility report of the project was prepared.
Similarly, the law officer submitted that the contract for exploration of minerals was cancelled after the company concerned discontinued it. He submitted that the previous licence of Barrick Gold had expired, which is why a new licence will be awarded to it.
The law officer said that even though Barrick Gold’s licence had expired, not a single company had approached Pakistan for any agreement due to the decision of apex court. He said that apart from Barrick Gold, there are a dozen companies around the globe involved in exploration of minerals.
The law officer said that the court had held that to ensure transparency, fair bids should be held for launching projects. He claimed the court decision had failed to mention that the projects could not be transparent unless bids were held.
At one point, Chief Justice Umer Ata Bandial said that China does not participate in such projects, which are launched through a competitive bidding process. Meanwhile, the court adjourned the hearing for Thursday.
It may be noted President Dr. Arif Alvi had filed a reference in the Supreme Court under Article 186 of the Constitution on the advice of prime minister. Last month, the federal cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, approved the filing of a presidential reference in the Supreme Court to seek its opinion on legal and public-interest issues.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final