18 pro-regime fighters killed in Syria
BEIRUT: At least 18 pro-Syrian regime combatants have been killed in 24 hours of fighting in southern Damascus against the Islamic State group, a monitor said on Tuesday.
That brought to at least 52 the number of pro-government fighters killed in nearly a week of military operations against Yarmuk and adjacent IS-held neighbourhoods, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. No confirmation of the casualties was available from Syrian officials, who do not usually disclose losses within army ranks.
The Britain-based Observatory said at least 35 jihadist fighters were also killed over the same period. There are an estimated 1,000 IS fighters left inside the enclave in the capital’s southern neighbourhoods, which includes Yarmuk and the adjacent districts of Hajar al-Aswad and Qadam.
From their perch in Yarmuk -- which has a view of the presidential palace in Damascus -- Jihadists have fired rockets on the capital’s centre. According to state news agency Sana, five civilians were killed on Tuesday when a mortar shell crashed into a market area.
The Observatory said the fighting on the ground was fierce, as IS attempted a desperate defence of one of its very last bastions in the country. The Syrian army’s focus on Yarmuk, once the country’s largest Palestinian refugee camp, comes as part of its campaign to secure the capital.
It recently retook the opposition enclave of Eastern Ghouta, then reached a string of deals last week for the transfer to northern Syria of rebels who had been allowed to remain in villages near Damascus as part of 2016 reconciliation agreements. A successful operation in Yarmuk, which is anticipated, would seal the regime’s reconquest of the capital, a major prize for a resurgent President Bashar al-Assad.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody