Taliban overrun Afghan forces in northeast, killing 18
KABUL: Dozens of Taliban fighters aided by foreign militants seized Afghan government checkpoints in a previously stable north-eastern province, officials said on Monday as the annual spring fighting season began in the 13-year-old war.Afghan officials said government forces later took back the district of Jorm in Badakhshan province but said
By our correspondents
April 14, 2015
KABUL: Dozens of Taliban fighters aided by foreign militants seized Afghan government checkpoints in a previously stable north-eastern province, officials said on Monday as the annual spring fighting season began in the 13-year-old war.
Afghan officials said government forces later took back the district of Jorm in Badakhshan province but said they need reinforcements from the central government in Kabul. Fighting intensifies each spring as snows that make mountainous areas impassable melt, allowing greater movement of fighters and weapons.
Fighting this year is being closely watched after the end of Nato forces’ combat mission left Afghanistan’s army and police to fight the resurgent Taliban on their own. The battle in Badakhshan killed at least 18 Afghan police and soldiers, eight of them beheaded, and left 10 wounded. At least 10 more are missing, Nawid Frotan, a spokesman for the Badakhshan governor said.
“The situation is under control right now, but Taliban who fled to nearby mountains sporadically open fire on our security forces,” he said. He said 19 militants were killed, 11 of them Afghan Taliban and eight classified as unidentified foreign militants. The Ministry of Defence said about 200 Taliban attacked in Badakhshan on Friday. It said 20 insurgents were killed and a total of 33 Afghan forces were either killed, wounded or were missing.
Afghan officials said government forces later took back the district of Jorm in Badakhshan province but said they need reinforcements from the central government in Kabul. Fighting intensifies each spring as snows that make mountainous areas impassable melt, allowing greater movement of fighters and weapons.
Fighting this year is being closely watched after the end of Nato forces’ combat mission left Afghanistan’s army and police to fight the resurgent Taliban on their own. The battle in Badakhshan killed at least 18 Afghan police and soldiers, eight of them beheaded, and left 10 wounded. At least 10 more are missing, Nawid Frotan, a spokesman for the Badakhshan governor said.
“The situation is under control right now, but Taliban who fled to nearby mountains sporadically open fire on our security forces,” he said. He said 19 militants were killed, 11 of them Afghan Taliban and eight classified as unidentified foreign militants. The Ministry of Defence said about 200 Taliban attacked in Badakhshan on Friday. It said 20 insurgents were killed and a total of 33 Afghan forces were either killed, wounded or were missing.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody