Vehicles’ registration without driving licence barred
LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Thursday ordered the excise and taxation department to stop registration of vehicles to applicants having no driving licence.
Justice Ali Akbar Qureshi also summoned secretary excise department for Friday (today) to assist the court on implementation of the restriction.
Hearing a petition moved by civil society member Abdullah Malik, the judge expressed concern over registration of the vehicles in the name of those having no driving licences.
Petitioner’s counsel Azhar Siddique told the court that driving without licences was one of the main reasons behind 70 per cent road accidents in the city. He requested the court to impose a ban on registration of vehicles without driving licences.
In a separate matter, Justice Qureshi summoned representatives of motorcycle manufacturing companies to discuss provision of good quality helmets to buyers of motorcycles.
The judge observed that the motorcycle manufacturing companies should play their role in safety of citizens.
Representing his petition, Advocate Ishtiaq Chaudhry said the companies had been earning billions of rupees but not contributing towards public safety. He said the companies should be ordered to provide a complimentary helmet to buyer of their bike.
Justice Qureshi admitted the petition for regular hearing and summoned representatives of the motorcycle manufacturing companies for October 24.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'