Ex-Polish official extradited from US after fraud conviction
WARSAW: A Pole who fled to the US after being found guilty in a massive Communist-era fraud case has been extradited and has arrived in Warsaw, Poland’s justice minister said Saturday.
Dariusz Przywieczerski fled Poland to avoid incarceration after being found guilty in 2005 of involvement in a scheme to illegally trade in foreign debt at a state agency controlled by the communist secret service.
He had been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison.
The fraud involving the Foreign Debt Servicing Fund, known as FOZZ, cost the country’s treasury an estimated 350 million zlotys in the late 1980s (83 million euros at today’s exchange rate).
Several others involved were given prison sentences.
The 72-year-old was arrested in October 2017 in Florida, where he had been residing, after Poland sought his extradition.
Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro said Saturday that “very influential men” were part of the scam “including people linked to the Soviet secret services as well as simple bandits and gangsters”.
Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has called it “the mother of all affairs” of corruption.
FOZZ, which was closely controlled by the secret services in the early 1990s, was set up by the central European nation’s last Communist regime to buy back Poland’s external debt.
But the organisation’s bosses moved the funds earmarked for the debt buy-up through fictitious offshore companies, described by prosecutors during a marathon trial nearly two decades ago as “a parade of swindlers”.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child