Doctor charged in Park doping case
SEOUL: South Korean prosecutors announced on Friday charges against a doctor for giving Olympic swim star Park Tae-Hwan an injection without disclosing it contained the banned steroid testosterone.The 24-year-old four-time Olympic medallist blamed the injection — administered last July — for a positive drug test on urine samples he provided
By our correspondents
February 07, 2015
SEOUL: South Korean prosecutors announced on Friday charges against a doctor for giving Olympic swim star Park Tae-Hwan an injection without disclosing it contained the banned steroid testosterone.
The 24-year-old four-time Olympic medallist blamed the injection — administered last July — for a positive drug test on urine samples he provided in September, prior to the Asian Games.
Briefing local media, a spokesman for the prosecutors’ office said the doctor, identified only by his surname Kim, was being charged with causing injury through negligence, the Yonhap news agency reported.
The news that Park had failed a doping test broke last month and his management agency filed a formal complaint that triggered a prosecutorial probe of the hospital where he received the injection.
The spokesman said Park had asked if the injection contained any substances that might show up positive in a dope test, but had been told by the doctor that there was no cause for worry.
While accepting the doctor might not have known testosterone was a banned substance, prosecutors said he had a professional obligation to confirm all the contents of any medicine he administered and their possible risks.
The 24-year-old four-time Olympic medallist blamed the injection — administered last July — for a positive drug test on urine samples he provided in September, prior to the Asian Games.
Briefing local media, a spokesman for the prosecutors’ office said the doctor, identified only by his surname Kim, was being charged with causing injury through negligence, the Yonhap news agency reported.
The news that Park had failed a doping test broke last month and his management agency filed a formal complaint that triggered a prosecutorial probe of the hospital where he received the injection.
The spokesman said Park had asked if the injection contained any substances that might show up positive in a dope test, but had been told by the doctor that there was no cause for worry.
While accepting the doctor might not have known testosterone was a banned substance, prosecutors said he had a professional obligation to confirm all the contents of any medicine he administered and their possible risks.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’