US responds to Iran on N-deal as momentum builds
WASHINGTON: The United States on Wednesday responded to Iran’s suggestions on reviving a 2015 nuclear deal as momentum builds to bring back the landmark agreement trashed by former president Donald Trump.
Just weeks after the deal looked dead, the European Union put forward on August 8 what it called a final text to restore the agreement, in which Iran would see sanctions relief and be able to sell its oil again in return for severe limits on its nuclear programme.
Iran came back last week with a series of proposed changes, to which the United States formally responded on Wednesday, a day after Tehran accused its arch-enemy of stonewalling. Iran, the United States and the European Union all confirmed the US response, but none immediately discussed it in depth.
"As you know, we received Iran’s comments on the EU’s proposed final text through the EU," State Department spokesman Ned Price said. "Our review of those comments has now concluded. We have responded to the EU today."
In Tehran, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani said Tehran received the response "on the outstanding issues in the negotiations to lift sanctions" from the European Union late on Wednesday local time.
"The process of carefully reviewing the US opinions has begun and the Islamic Republic of Iran will announce its opinion in this context to the coordinator after it completes its review," Kanani added.
With signs that the agreement will reach the finish line, Iran’s arch-rival Israel stepped up pressure on Western nations to block it. "On the table right now is a bad deal. It would give Iran $100 billion a year," Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid told journalists on Wednesday.
The money would be used by Iran-backed militant groups Hamas, Hizbullah and Islamic Jihad to "undermine stability in the Middle East and spread terror around the globe," he added.
Lapid, however, has promised to preserve cooperation with the United States, Israel’s crucial ally, and has avoided the confrontational stance of former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who openly joined then-president Barack Obama’s Republican rivals to campaign against the deal when it was reached.
Israel’s National Security Adviser Eyal Hulata was holding talks in Washington. His counterpart Jake Sullivan told him Tuesday that the United States was committed to "preserve and strengthen" Israel’s defenses and "ensure that Iran never acquires a nuclear weapon."
President Joe Biden took office with a goal of restoring the agreement, believing it was the best way to constrain Iran’s nuclear programme and that Trump’s withdrawal had done nothing but lead Iran to accelerate its nuclear work.
But a year and a half of diplomacy trudged along slowly in Vienna, where Iran pressed hard and insisted on dealing only indirectly with US envoy Rob Malley, with EU mediators shuttling between hotels.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony