Iran says ready to continue nuclear talks, rejects ‘blame game’
Tehran: Iran said on Monday it was ready to resume nuclear talks but based on draft proposals it submitted last week, accusing Western powers of stalling negotiations in Vienna. Last week, the Islamic republic returned to international talks in Vienna aimed at reviving the 2015 nuclear deal after a five-month pause.
On Wednesday it submitted two draft resolutions on the lifting of US sanctions and nuclear-related measures. But at the weekend the United States, as well as European participants at the Vienna talks, accused Iran of back-tracking.
A senior US administration official said the proposals "walked back any of the compromises that Iran had floated" during the previous six rounds of negotiations. The official accused Iran of seeking to "pocket all of the compromises that others -- the US in particular -- had made and then ask for more".
On Monday, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh hit back. "Our texts are fully negotiable," he told a news conference about the draft proposals," also charging that the other parties "want to play a blame game".
"We are waiting naturally to hear the other side’s opinion concerning these texts and whether they have a real (counter) offer to make to us in writing," Khatibzadeh added. The seventh round of nuclear talks ended Friday after five days in Vienna, with delegations returning to their national capitals and expected to go back to Austria next week.
Khatibzadeh said the negotiations were expected to resume "at the end of the week", without elaborating. The landmark 2015 nuclear accord was initially agreed between Iran and Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States.
The deal is aimed at putting curbs on Iran’s nuclear programme to ensure it could not develop an atomic weapon, in exchange for sanctions relief for Tehran. But it began unravelling in 2018 when then US president Donald Trump pulled out and reimposed sanctions, prompting Iran to start exceeding limits on its nuclear programme the following year. Iran has always insisted that its nuclear programme is peaceful.
-
Protest Held Outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Home -
NASA Targets March 6 For Launch Of Crewed Mission Around Moon Following Successful Rocket Fueling Test -
Conan O'Brien Addresses Rob Reiner's Tragic Death After Explosive Clash At Christmas Bash -
Princess Eugenie, Beatrice's Major Plan With King Charles Revealed After Andrew Arrest -
Prince William Out Of Trouble As King Charles Faces Andrew Scandal Fallout -
Sir Paul McCartney Gets Honest About Whether He Broke Up The Beatles -
Brad Falchuk, Gwyneth Paltrow's Husband, Opens Up About Eric Dane's 'Famous Last Words' -
Sarah Ferguson Leaves Andrew 'furious' With Stunning Move: 'It's All-out War Now' -
Greenland Ice Sheet Acts Like ‘churning Molten Rock,’ Scientists Find -
Sydney Sweeney Pays Tribute To 'Euphoria' Co-star Eric Dane After His Death: 'Forever Will Love You' -
Kayla Nicole Reveals Surprising Reason Behind Separation From Travis Kelce -
Andrew Made Major Demand To King Charles Before Arrest -
Political Tensions Steal Spotlight At Berlin Film Festival Closing Ceremony -
King Charles In Hot Water After Andrew Arrest: ‘Step Down!’ -
Space-based Solar Power Could Push The World Beyond Net Zero: Here’s How -
Kate Walsh Remembers Her 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane Following His Death At 53