LHC review board’s detailed order in Saad Rizvi detention case
LAHORE: A review board of the Lahore High Court Thursday issued its detailed order in a case pertaining to the detention of Saad Hussain Rizvi, leader of proscribed Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP), observing that political parties like the PPP, PML-N and the PTI had also held protest demonstrations in the past, but none of them were banned nor their party leaders detained.
The board quoted the government as complaining that Saad sought the expulsion of the French ambassador from Pakistan, however, it said various parliamentarians did not face any proceedings for raising similar clamour.
Last week, the LHC review board had dismissed the Punjab home department’s request to extend the TLP leader’s detention, observing that he should be “released forthwith” if he was not required to the government in any other case.
In its detailed order, the three-member LHC review board headed by Justice Malik Shehzad said: “We have noted the government of Punjab has concealed material facts in its reference because the number of police officers martyred or injured during the incident in question (has) been mentioned in it, but the number of TLP activists or a number of persons from the public who died during the relevant period (has) not been mentioned in the reference”.
Saad, son of the late Khadim Hussain Rizvi, was detained on April 12 over allegations of inciting his followers to take the law into their own hands after the government had backed out of its promise to expel the French ambassador. It added that the government had presented one side of its claim regarding law and order which showed its malice.
It said the failure of police to not incorporate Saad’s arrest in the cases filed against the TLP leader reflected their “dishonesty”. The government only wanted an extension in Saad’s detention on the basis of “fears”, while no supporting evidence was furnished to support this claim, the order read.
It pointed out the government counsel argued that Saad was detained on the basis of district intelligence reports in order to control deteriorating law and order. “The law officer or representatives of the government who appeared before the board didn’t produce any evidence that detainee (Saad Rizvi) was in contact with any person in the outside world during his detention,” the order read.
-
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’ -
Poll Reveals Majority Of Americans' Views On Bad Bunny -
Wiz Khalifa Thanks Aimee Aguilar For 'supporting Though Worst' After Dad's Death -
Man Convicted After DNA Links Him To 20-year-old Rape Case -
Royal Expert Shares Update In Kate Middleton's Relationship With Princess Eugenie, Beatrice -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Leaves King Charles With No Choice: ‘Its’ Not Business As Usual’