Man Utd launch ‘See Red’ anti-racism campaign
0LONDON: Manchester United have launched the “See Red” campaign to help fight racism and discrimination in football.
There has been a rapid increase of online abuse in recent months and United players have been frequently targeted, including midfielder Fred after the FA Cup quarter-final loss to Leicester.
The club have run the All Red All Equal anti-discrimination programme since 2016, with the Old Trafford giants now wanting fans to “see red” when such abuse occurs online.
United have set up an online reporting system and is encouraging supporters to report incidents of racism or other hate crimes and speak out when there is discriminatory abuse.
Group managing director Richard Arnold said: “We are proud that players of all ethnicities, religions and nationalities have pulled on the Manchester United jersey over the years.
“We challenge our fans, and indeed fans of every club, to watch this and think about their own favourite memories, their top teams and their most celebrated players.
“How different would those memories be without the diversity of some of the best players in the world who have graced our game and our club?
“Sadly, footballers across the country continue to receive abuse online, seemingly without fear of censure.
“United has been, and always will be, a club for all. We do not believe real fans are racist and today, we call on those fans to join us in the battle against discrimination.
“It is not good enough for us all to sit silently on the sidelines when we see or read racist remarks or behaviour.
“Inaction has a consequence. We must call it out. We must not tolerate it. If you see it or read it – report it.”
United’s reporting system can be used to report online abuse, with the club saying it will work with “the Premier League to escalate any complaints received to the social media platforms and the relevant authorities and calls on the social platforms to act with urgent and tough action against online racists.”
The seats wraps at Old Trafford have been replaced ahead of Sunday’s match against Brighton as part of the launch of See Red, which includes a thought-provoking video about diversity and history.
Meanwhile, Arsenal chief executive Vinai Venkatesham admits he is concerned that an increase in social media abuse could spill back into the stands as supporters begin to return to stadiums.
Earlier this week, the FA Cup holders launched an action plan called #StopOnlineAbuse as part of the club’s Arsenal for Everyone programme.
The initiative is aimed at helping players who are targeted by abuse, with the likes of Eddie Nketiah, Willian, Nicolas Pepe, Hector Bellerin and Granit Xhaka receiving such posts in recent months – sometimes from accounts claiming to support Arsenal.
Manager Mikel Arteta has also spoken about himself and his family being targeted earlier in the season, while the club’s all-time leading goalscorer Thierry Henry quit social media this week and said he would only return once something had been done to tackle racism across the platforms.
Venkatesham is wary, however, that there could be a crossover between online abuse and players being targeted from the stands.
-
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession