LHC unhappy with govt’s smog control steps
LAHORE:The Lahore High Court on Thursday expressed its dissatisfaction over the Punjab government actions to control smog and observed that the chief secretary had not taken the issue seriously.
Hearing petitions relating to different environmental challenges, Justice Shahid Karim directed an additional advocate general to convey the court’s concern to the chief secretary. The judge ordered the chief secretary to conduct a meeting with the chief traffic officer (CTO) and environment department to ensure a ban on smoke-emitting vehicles in the province and also against the industries causing emissions.
The judge regretted that there was a time when deputy commissioners in every district used to perform their statutory obligations and implement law in letter and spirit. Unfortunately, they were not sensitised to the environmental issues that had adversely affected sustainable development, he added. The law officer stated that a notification had been issued to declare smog a calamity under Punjab National Calamity Act 1958. However, Justice Karim observed that mere issuance of a notification would not help curb the smog unless or until the chief secretary and the commissioners took serious actions and passed executive orders against the industries violating the laws. The law officer informed the court that the commissioners had been delegated the task in all major cities to curb the smog. The judge directed the government to release information and make it available to the public regarding the air quality index.
Advocate Sheraz Zaka, representing a petitioner, said the government needed to take drastic steps and must ensure to close down kilns. A lawyer on behalf of the environment department assured the court that the whole brick-kiln industry would remain closed from November to middle of December. A counsel for the kilns association objected to the closure of the industry; however, the judge observed that no concession could be given to the kiln industry as the people’s well-being was at stake. The hearing was adjourned for 2 November.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years