US urges extension of embargo on conventional arms sales to Iran
WASHINGTON: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on Saturday for the UN to extend its conventional arms embargo on Iran beyond its scheduled end in October, citing Tehran´s recent launch of a military satellite.
The lifting of the embargo was stipulated in the multi-nation Iranian nuclear deal concluded in 2015, but which the United States, under President Donald Trump, unilaterally renounced in 2018.
"The world´s leading state sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism should not be allowed to buy and sell conventional weapons," Pompeo said in a statement on Saturday.
He said Iran´s announcement on Wednesday that it had orbited its first military satellite demonstrated that its space program -- which Tehran has long insisted is peaceful and civilian -- was in fact "neither peaceful nor entirely civilian."
Pompeo said the technology used to launch the satellite -- dubbed Nour, or "light" in Persian -- was compatible with that used to launch ballistic missiles.
"All peace-loving nations must reject Iran´s development of ballistic-missile-capable technologies and join together to constrain Iran´s dangerous missile programmes," the secretary of state said.
He called on the European Union to "sanction those individuals and entities working on Iran´s missile programs."
Pompeo´s statement came at a time of sharp US-Iranian tensions, escalated last week after Washington accused its arch-foe of harassing US ships in the Gulf.
Trump said on Wednesday on Twitter that he had "instructed the United States Navy to shoot down and destroy any and all Iranian gunboats if they harass our ships at sea."
Iran´s Revolutionary Guards, which had announced the satellite launch, responded by warning the US of a "decisive response" to any such action.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France