Zimbabwe police accused of media assault amid lockdown
HARARE: An African media watchdog charged Monday that Zimbabwean police had assaulted a journalist and forced him to delete pictures of them enforcing a COVID-19 lockdown.
Freelance journalist Panashe Makufa "was beaten up by members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police" in Harare’s Kuwadzana township "while undertaking his professional duties," the Media Institute of Southern Africa (MISA) Zimbabwe office said.
Makufa told the media rights watchdog he was taking pictures on Sunday of police as they dispersed people to enforce a stay-at-home order. "Four police officers ordered Makufa to get into their truck where he was assaulted by two officers and forced to delete his pictures before he was dropped off," MISA said in a statement.
Police spokesman Paul Nyathi said they had received no formal report about the incident. "We don’t condone the assault of people going about the legitimate work but we have had incidents of people who commit offences and then say they were arrested while performing their duties," he told AFP.
"We are appealing to the journalist Makufa to come and make a formal report if indeed such an incident happened," he said.
Makufa’s assault came after the arrest last week of two other journalists in separate incidents. Police briefly detained freelance reporter Kudzanai Musengi in the central city of Gweru accusing him of working with an expired accreditation card, according to MISA.
In another case, the police arrested Voice of America (VOA) correspondent Nunurai Jena and charged him with disorderly conduct after he took pictures of police at a roadblock, the media watchdog said.
He appeared before a magistrate’s court and was released on bail. Zimbabwe began a three-week total lockdown a week ago. The southern African country says it has so far recorded nine COVID-19 cases, including one fatality.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’