Yemen’s Huthi rebels in possession of new arms: UN
UNITED NATIONS, United States: Yemen’s Huthi rebels are in possession of new weapons similar to those produced in Iran, according to a UN report obtained by AFP on Friday, in potential violation of a UN arms embargo.
The crisis in Yemen pits the Iranian-backed Huthi rebels against government forces supported by a Saudi-led military coalition.
Some of the new weapons, which the rebels have possessed since 2019, "have technical characteristics similar to arms manufactured in the Islamic Republic of Iran," said the report, which was compiled by a panel of UN experts tasked with monitoring the embargo.
The panel didn’t say whether the weapons were delivered to the Huthis directly by the Iranian government, which has repeatedly denied sending them arms.
"In addition to the previously known weapon systems, they used a new type of Delta-design uncrewed aerial vehicle and a new model of land attack cruise missile," the document said.
The weapons, as well as commercially available parts constituting some of the weapons, potentially violated the embargo, according to the document.
The experts separately added that the Huthi rebels’ claim that they carried out the attacks against two key Saudi oil installations on September 14 was "unlikely".
Several countries, including the United States, have ruled out the Huthis’ ability to conduct such an attack, and instead accused Iran, which has denied involvement.
The panel additionally said that it had identified a "Huthi network involved in the repression of women who oppose the Huthis, including through the use of sexual violence."
"Violations of international humanitarian law and international human rights law continued to be widely committed by all parties in Yemen with impunity," the report said.
The war in Yemen has claimed tens of thousands of lives, most of them civilians, according to non-governmental groups.
Recently, the Houthis have engaged in clashes with militants loyal to former Saudi-backed President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the Nihm district of Sana’a Province.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Saree said that the Yemeni forces had managed to fend off the militant attack on Nihm and were advancing to Sana’a’s neighboring provinces of al-Jawf and Ma’rib.
“With the defeat of the enemy forces, the Yemeni Armed Forces continued to advance beyond Nihm,” he pointed out.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France