Rohingya Muslims sent to camps
SITTWE, Myanmar: Nearly 200 Rohingya Muslims arrested at sea last month by Myanmar’s navy after a voyage of hundreds of kilometres have been sent back to Rakhine state, officials said on Monday.
Seasonal calmer waters have seen an increase in the number of Rohingya putting their lives in the hands of traffickers in a desperate bid to reach Malaysia or Indonesia by boat. But few make it as far as Kawthaung, Myanmar’s southern-most tip, where the group of 173 were picked up mid-December.
Images taken on Monday showed 17 men, women and children looking exhausted from their ordeal as they climbed down from a wooden boat on to a beach near western Rakhine state’s capital, Sittwe.
Wearing identification numbers around their necks, they lined up on the sand clutching their meagre belongings before being escorted away by armed police.
They were taken to Thechaung camp, while the remaining 156 were transported further north to Ngakhuya camp in Maungdaw township, Rakhine State minister for security and border affairs said.
Ngakhuya is a processing site for returning refugees on the Bangladeshi border. “I’m not sure whether action will be taken against them or not,” Colonel Min Than told AFP by phone, adding that their fate would be decided by the UEHRD, a government department overseeing Rakhine.
A bloody military crackdown in 2017 forced some 740,000 Rohingya to flee over the border to Bangladesh in violence that has seen Myanmar accused of “genocide” at the UN’s top court in The Hague.
Bangladesh has made life increasingly unbearable in the sprawling camps with barbed-wire fences, an internet blackout and the confiscation of phones.
Meanwhile hundreds of thousands more Rohingya remain in Myanmar’s Rakhine in what Amnesty International has branded “apartheid” conditions. They have nearly no freedom of movement and little access to work, education and healthcare.
The captured Rohingya came from both sides of the border, Min Than said, although it was unclear how they ended up on the same boat.
-
Timothee Chalamet Admits To Being Inspired By Matthew McConaughey's Performance In 'Interstellar' -
'Determined' Savannah Guthrie Plans To Honour Her Mother Nancy With Major Move: 'It's Going To Be Emotional' -
Train's Pat Monahan Blows The Lid On 'emotional' Tale Attached To Hit Song 'Drops Of Jupiter' -
Kurt Russell Spills The Beans On His Plans For Milestone Birthday This Year: 'Looking Forward To It' -
PayPal Data Breach Exposed Sensitive User Data For Six-month Period; What You Need To Know -
Prince William Receives First Heartbreaking News After Andrew Arrest -
11-year-old Allegedly Kills Father Over Confiscated Nintendo Switch -
Jacob Elordi Talks About Filming Steamy Scenes With Margot Robbie In 'Wuthering Heights' -
Why Prince Harry Really Wants To Reconcile With King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton? -
'Grief Is Cruel': Kelly Osbourne Offers Glimpse Into Hidden Pain Over Rockstar Father Ozzy Death -
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase'