Nawaz Sharif can’t reach hospital after London Bridge shooting
LONDON: Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was caught up in traffic just few meters away from the shooting site in London Bridge area where the police killed a man brandishing a knife.
Nawaz Sharif was on his way for appointment at London Bridge Hospital Friday afternoon when the police sealed the area near the hospital because of shooting. Hassan Nawaz Sharif confirmed that he advised his father to return instead of trying to reach the hospital.
Nawaz Sharif was only five minutes away from the hospital when police locked down the area. He stayed stuck in the traffic for over an hour until the police decided to divert the traffic to alternative routes after clamping down the entire area following the knife attack and shooting by the police. Nawaz Sharif arrived home two hours later without attending his appointment at the London Bridge Hospital.
Neil Basu, the head of UK counter-terrorism policing, confirmed a man had been killed and that a suspected explosive device is believed to be a hoax. The attacker injured several people with his knife before he was shot dead by police, according to international media reports.
“I can confirm at approximately 14:00GMT police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge,” the police chief said. “A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.”
In an address made outside New Scotland Yard, London Mayor Sadiq Khan praised members of the public who helped police tackle the suspected knifeman. He described their bravery as “breath-taking.”
“I want to thank our brave emergency services,” the mayor said. “Every day they put their lives on the line for us, running towards danger in order to keep us safe. I’d also like to thank members of the public who risked their own safety this afternoon, they are the best of us. We must and will stand resolute in the face of terror.”
The latest attack, which is being treated as terror-related by the police, comes less than a month after the country’s threat level was downgraded. On November 4, the threat level posed by terrorism to the UK was lowered by the security services after “positive developments” in reducing the risk of attacks, officials said.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France