Lawyers threaten boycott of Erdogan’s courts ceremony
ISTANBUL: Dozens of Turkish bar associations are threatening to boycott President Recep Tayyip Erdogan´s planned ceremony to open the judicial year at the presidential palace, saying it would be another violation of the judiciary's independence.
The boycott protest would be a first by law associations against Erdogan, who has faced increasing criticism from Turkey's Western allies and rights activists over media freedoms and interference in the courts.
The European Union says Turkey's judicial independence and the principle of separation of powers have been eroded since 2014 and that judges and prosecutors have come under increasing political pressure.
At least 42 bar associations including those for Istanbul and the capital Ankara said they would not attend the event on September 2 because they believe the ceremony should take place at the Supreme Court building, not the presidential palace.
"These past years have seen judicial independence being seriously undermined... The judiciary is under pressure from the executive," Mehmet Durakoglu, head of the Istanbul bar association, told AFP on Sunday.
"Under these circumstances, we would expect the ceremony for the opening of the judicial year to take place at a venue that represents the separation of powers, rather than a political location."
Erdogan's supporters dismiss criticism he has undermined Turkish democracy, saying his government faces domestic threats especially since a failed 2016 coup against him. For many of his more conservative backers, he has brought prosperity and defended Turkey´s interests in his decade and a half in power.
The opening ceremony for the new judicial year was first held at the presidential palace in 2016 after the failed coup. Since then authorities have arrested tens of thousands of people for alleged ties to the coup plotters, in what rights groups say is an unprecedented crackdown.
Erdogan has dismissed criticism over the ceremony, describing the presidential palace on the outskirts of Ankara as "the place of the people". "The ceremony taking place in the place of the people would only strengthen judicial independence," the Turkish leader has said.
But for attorneys, the boycott decision represents a "reaction against violation of freedom of expression, rule of law and judicial independence," said Dogus Aygun, another lawyer from the Istanbul bar association.
Critics say Turkey's courts have bowed to pressure, often making rulings that favour authorities since massive purges in the judiciary following a corruption scandal in 2013 and the 2016 coup bid.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony