US judge suspended for anti-Trump comments
LOS ANGELES: A US judge has been suspended for six months without pay after making derogatory comments about Donald Trump, including criticizing his “inability to govern and political incompetence.”
Utah judge Michael Kwan´s suspension earlier this week by the state´s supreme court says that his behavior was in violation of the judicial code of conduct and sullied the reputation of the judiciary.
“Judge Kwan´s behavior denigrates his reputation as an impartial, independent, dignified, and courteous jurist who takes no advantage of the office in which he serves,” the court said in a 19-page opinion.
As regards Kwan´s postings about Trump on Facebook and LinkedIn, the court said they “were laden with blunt, and sometimes indelicate, criticism.”
In one posting on January 20, 2017, when Trump was inaugurated president, Kwan wrote: “Welcome to governing.
“Will you dig your heels in and spend the next four years undermining our country´s reputation and standing in the world? ... Will you continue to demonstrate your inability to govern and political incompetence?”
In another posting a month later, Kwan wrote: “Welcome to the beginning of the fascist takeover.”
He continued, “We need to... be diligent in questioning Congressional Republicans if they are going to be the American Reichstag and refuse to stand up for the Constitution, refuse to uphold their oath of office and enable the tyrants to consolidate their power.”
On another occasion while presiding over a hearing, Kwan got into an exchange with a defendant in which he appeared to criticize Trump´s immigration and tax policies, the court said. The defendant told Kwan that he planned to pay all of his court fines when he got his tax returns.
“You do realize that we have a new president, and you think we are getting any money back?” Kwan told the defendant “Prayer might be the answer,” Kwan added.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'