UK MPs probe unpublished UN ‘sex-for-food’ findings: report
LONDON: British MPs probing sexual abuse in the international charity sector are investigating an unpublished UN report from 2001 naming 15 major aid organisations implicated in a "sex-for-food" scandal, The Times newspaper reported on Tuesday.
The charities were listed in a probe by UN and Save the Children officials who collected testimony from children in West Africa that aid workers had traded food for sex, according to the newspaper.
The Times obtained a copy of the 84-page report which is now also in the hands of lawmakers. The UN released a summary of the investigation in 2002 but the full report naming the agencies was never made public. It has now been passed to the British parliament´s international development committee, the newspaper said.
MPs are probing the aid sector following revelations earlier this year of a prostitution scandal in Haiti involving staff from British charity Oxfam. The report had found dozens of workers for more than 40 NGOs, including 15 international organisations, were "alleged to be in sexually exploitative relationships with refugee children", according to The Times.
The list of implicated personnel were from UN agencies and other organisations in the sector, such as the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), it reported. NRC said in a statement it had taken the report "very seriously" and followed up with its own investigation "resulting in the firing of one national staff member in Sierra Leone".
The investigating researchers found aid workers in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia were "among the prime sexual exploiters of refugee children", trading food, oil, access to education and plastic sheeting for sex. They reported the allegations could not be fully verified and required further investigation. "The number of allegations documented, however, is a critical indicator of the scale of the problem," the researchers reportedly warned.
Ruud Lubbers, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees from 2001 to 2005, at the time rejected the possibility of child sexual abuse by members of his own staff as "gossip." However the UNHCR wrote to all the organisations referenced in the report, detailing the unproven allegations, and sent investigators from UN headquarters. They identified 43 separate abuse accusations in the region, which had led it to initiate "specific preventive and remedial actions", The Times said. However, of 67 people who were referred to UNHCR officials in "confidential lists", fewer than 10 were dismissed and none was prosecuted, the paper added.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France