close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
May 16, 2018

ECB targeting younger fans with new 100 ball competition

Sports

AFP
May 16, 2018

LONDON: The English and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) proposal for a new 100 ball competition was created to attract younger people to the sport, according to the organisation’s chairman Colin Graves.

Last month, the ECB unanimously backed a proposal to add an eight-team tournament to their domestic schedule from 2020. The shorter matches will see each side face 15 six-ball overs, culminating in a final 10 deliveries. Graves believes that ECB’s recent experimentation of new formats is due to traditional cricket not enticing younger audiences.

"It’s a challenge but every county chairman -- and I mean every county chairman -- has told me that they are behind the new tournament. They can see why we are doing it," Graves told the Times. "What we do know is the kind of audience that we are not getting. We’re after kids and the next generation, the families. "We are not getting them to watch our existing products so we know there is a gap in the marketplace and we know that, when we get that product right, it will attract a new audience.”

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus