Qatar signs $8 billion deal to buy 24 Typhoon fighters from Britain
DOHA: Qatar signed a multi-billion-dollar deal Sunday to buy 24 Typhoon fighters from Britain, its second major defence agreement this week, which comes during the worst political crisis in the region for years.
The $8-billion (6.8-billion-euro) deal was signed in Doha by Qatar´s Defence Minister Khalid bin Mohammed al-Attiyah and his British counterpart, Gavin Williamson. Williamson said it was the biggest order for Typhoons in a decade, and it follows a billion-dollar deal signed by Qatar on December 7 to buy 12 French Dassault Aviation warplanes.
"These formidable jets will boost the Qatari military´s mission to tackle the challenges we both share in the Middle East, supporting stability in the region and delivering security at home," said the British minister. The deal also includes an intention for Qatar to buy further military equipment from Britain, namely the purchase of Hawk aircraft. A memorandum of understanding was signed by the two countries for this Typhoon contract in September.
Qatar is the ninth country to sign a deal for Typhoon jets, said London. A statement from Qatar´s armed forces said the two ministers also signed an "agreement for building up a Joint Operational Squadron" between the two countries´ air forces to provide security during the 2022 football World Cup, which the Gulf state will host.
Sunday´s deal comes at a politically sensitive time for both countries. There are heightened tensions in the Gulf, where a Saudi-led boycott of Qatar is in its seventh month. Since June 5, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt have diplomatically isolated Qatar, accusing the emirate of supporting extremists and of being too close to Iran, Riyadh´s arch-rival.
The four countries also cut off all air and sea links to Qatar. Qatar denies the allegations and has accused the Saudi-led bloc of aiming to incite regime change in Doha. It is the latest agreement in a growing list of defence deals signed by Qatar since the crisis erupted. Doha has also struck deals with the US and Italy as well as France. The agreement signed with France last week also included letter of intent to buy 490 VBCI armoured vehicles from Nexter, a French government.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France