Carvalho handed 7-month sentence for tax fraud
MADRID: Former Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho became the latest in a series of football stars to be convicted on charges of tax fraud in Spain as he was handed a seven-month jail term, a court filing confirmed on Friday.
Sentences under two years for first time offenders in Spain are habitually suspended so the Portuguese defender, now playing in China for Shanghai SIPG, is likely to avoid prison.
Carvalho, 39, was also handed a 142,822 euro ($168,000) fine after being found guilty of a fraud totalling 545,981 euros on income derived from his image rights in 2011 and 2012, which he had already repaid as the court ratified an agreement between the player and Spanish prosecutors.
As with other high-profile cases involving footballers, the use of a shell company in the British Virgin Isles to which Carvalho had ceded his image rights was deemed illegal.
Barcelona duo Lionel Messi and Javier Mascherano received 21-month and one-year suspended sentences respectively after being found guilty of tax fraud over their image rights in 2016.However, five-time World Player of the Year Messi’s sentence was later replaced by a 252,000 euro fine.
Real’s all-time leading scorer Cristiano Ronaldo appeared in court for a preliminary hearing in July and could yet face trial over accusations he evaded 14.7 million euros ($17.5 million) worth of tax on his image rights between 2011 and 2014.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show