Comments sought on plea for reduction in transport fares

By our correspondents
November 29, 2016

The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Monday directed the provincial law officer, the transport secretary and others to file comments on a petition seeking implementation of the Sind government’s notification regarding reduction of transport fares.

Petitioner Abdul Hakim Quaid submitted that the federal government had reduced the prices of petroleum products multiple times in 2015 and 2016.

He said the government had also revised the fare of buses, mini-buses, coaches and school transport as well.

Petitioner counsel Khurrum Lakhani submitted that the provincial government on January 2, 2015 had issued notification in which reduction of fares of public buses was reduced to seven to 12 percent, but despite such notification the transporters did not reduce the fares.

He submitted that 90 percent buses and coaches as well as mini buses had already been switched to CNG but they still had been charging higher rates.

He said the regional transport authority had completely failed to implement its notification regarding reduction of fares besides taxi and rickshaws were also charging fares in violation of the fare rates. He submitted that due to shortage of the public transport, the passengers were compelled to travel on the rooftop of the buses.

He said the government was also not taking steps for plying the green buses imported by the defunct city district government in the city. The court was requested to ensure implementation of notification regarding reduction of fares and directed the secretary transport to fix the charges distance wise on public transport.

The provincial law officer sought time to file comments on the petition. The court granted time and directed the provincial law officer and others to file comments at the hearing.