Jean-Paul Sartre’s ‘No to Nobel prize came too late’
STOCKHOLM: A letter sent by French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre in 1964 declining the Nobel Prize for Literature came too late to avert one of the biggest debacles in its history, Swedish media reported on Saturday.Sartre’s letter arrived nearly a month after he had been picked as the top choice by
By our correspondents
January 04, 2015
STOCKHOLM: A letter sent by French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre in 1964 declining the Nobel Prize for Literature came too late to avert one of the biggest debacles in its history, Swedish media reported on Saturday.
Sartre’s letter arrived nearly a month after he had been picked as the top choice by the Nobel Committee, the daily Svenska Dagbladet reported, based on archival material made available at the end of a customary 50-year period of secrecy.
The report throws light on the sequence of events leading to Sartre’s decision to become the only person to willingly turn down the world’s most prestigious literary prize.
Sartre later explained that he had “always declined official honours”, including the French Legion of Honour in 1945, as it would limit his independence and institutionalise him.
It had been widely speculated that Sartre’s letter asking not to be considered for the award had been too late, but only now is this backed up with actual historical evidence.
Sartre, who had been mentioned as a likely candidate for several years, sent his letter to the Nobel Foundation on October 14, 1964, saying he would not be able to accept the prize “either in 1964 or in the future”, according to the paper.
However, the Nobel Committee for Literature had agreed on Sartre as the top candidate on September 17, the paper said.
In principle the decision on the year’s winner had already been taken, Sartre was told in a reply from the Swedish Academy, which awards the prize.
Consequently, when the Swedish Academy met on October 22, 1964, its 18 members decided to follow the committee’s recommendations and award the prize to Sartre -- who, good as his word, refused it.
Sartre’s letter arrived nearly a month after he had been picked as the top choice by the Nobel Committee, the daily Svenska Dagbladet reported, based on archival material made available at the end of a customary 50-year period of secrecy.
The report throws light on the sequence of events leading to Sartre’s decision to become the only person to willingly turn down the world’s most prestigious literary prize.
Sartre later explained that he had “always declined official honours”, including the French Legion of Honour in 1945, as it would limit his independence and institutionalise him.
It had been widely speculated that Sartre’s letter asking not to be considered for the award had been too late, but only now is this backed up with actual historical evidence.
Sartre, who had been mentioned as a likely candidate for several years, sent his letter to the Nobel Foundation on October 14, 1964, saying he would not be able to accept the prize “either in 1964 or in the future”, according to the paper.
However, the Nobel Committee for Literature had agreed on Sartre as the top candidate on September 17, the paper said.
In principle the decision on the year’s winner had already been taken, Sartre was told in a reply from the Swedish Academy, which awards the prize.
Consequently, when the Swedish Academy met on October 22, 1964, its 18 members decided to follow the committee’s recommendations and award the prize to Sartre -- who, good as his word, refused it.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis