Afghan govt, rights groups accuse Taliban of abuses in Kunduz battle
KABUL: The Afghan government on Sunday accused the Taliban of carrying out human rights abuses during two weeks of fighting for the control of the northern city of Kunduz this month, even though insurgents say they sought to protect civilians.Though the Taliban only controlled the city for three days, fighting
By our correspondents
October 19, 2015
KABUL: The Afghan government on Sunday accused the Taliban of carrying out human rights abuses during two weeks of fighting for the control of the northern city of Kunduz this month, even though insurgents say they sought to protect civilians.
Though the Taliban only controlled the city for three days, fighting between the militants and Afghan security forces continued for two weeks, driving tens of thousands of residents to seek safety in neighbouring provinces.
At least 50 civilians were killed and more than 350 wounded, according to hospital records compiled by the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), though it says the death toll is likely to be much higher. Some 100,000 residents fled the clashes, according to UN estimates.
“Our people recounted examples of the atrocities committed by (the Taliban),” said Afghanistan’s Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah at a press conference in Kabul on Sunday. “It shows no change in the behaviour and politics of this criminal group.”
The AIHRC is calling for the government to investigate what it called “widespread and grave human rights violations” by militants during the battle for Kunduz.Civilians were dragged out of their homes and killed in the street, used as human shields, and taken hostage by the insurgents, said a report released by the commission on Thursday.
The report also said evidence suggested women had been assaulted by anti-government armed fighters during the offensive, echoing earlier reports by rights group Amnesty International that female health workers and prisoners had been raped during the siege.
A Taliban spokesman rejected the commission’s allegations. “Eliminating enemy personnel and structures is part of war, however utmost care was taken in dealing with civilians and unwarranted trouble given to no one,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement on Friday.
In addition, at least 22 patients and staff were killed in a US air strike of a hospital run by Medecins Sans Frontieres on October 3.The Taliban fighters said they went into Kunduz under orders from their leader Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour to win “hearts and minds”.
But many Kunduz residents, who fled the fighting, offered a very different version of events.At a hotel in Kabul last week, where dozens of women and their children were staying after escaping Kunduz city without their husbands, several women said they had heard rumours that armed fighters were assaulting women in the city.
“This was one of the main reasons I wanted to get my daughters out,” said Nadra Nahrinwal, who fled to Kabul in a car with her five daughters and son. “The north is gone,” she said. “It will never be safe again.”
Though the Taliban only controlled the city for three days, fighting between the militants and Afghan security forces continued for two weeks, driving tens of thousands of residents to seek safety in neighbouring provinces.
At least 50 civilians were killed and more than 350 wounded, according to hospital records compiled by the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), though it says the death toll is likely to be much higher. Some 100,000 residents fled the clashes, according to UN estimates.
“Our people recounted examples of the atrocities committed by (the Taliban),” said Afghanistan’s Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah at a press conference in Kabul on Sunday. “It shows no change in the behaviour and politics of this criminal group.”
The AIHRC is calling for the government to investigate what it called “widespread and grave human rights violations” by militants during the battle for Kunduz.Civilians were dragged out of their homes and killed in the street, used as human shields, and taken hostage by the insurgents, said a report released by the commission on Thursday.
The report also said evidence suggested women had been assaulted by anti-government armed fighters during the offensive, echoing earlier reports by rights group Amnesty International that female health workers and prisoners had been raped during the siege.
A Taliban spokesman rejected the commission’s allegations. “Eliminating enemy personnel and structures is part of war, however utmost care was taken in dealing with civilians and unwarranted trouble given to no one,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement on Friday.
In addition, at least 22 patients and staff were killed in a US air strike of a hospital run by Medecins Sans Frontieres on October 3.The Taliban fighters said they went into Kunduz under orders from their leader Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour to win “hearts and minds”.
But many Kunduz residents, who fled the fighting, offered a very different version of events.At a hotel in Kabul last week, where dozens of women and their children were staying after escaping Kunduz city without their husbands, several women said they had heard rumours that armed fighters were assaulting women in the city.
“This was one of the main reasons I wanted to get my daughters out,” said Nadra Nahrinwal, who fled to Kabul in a car with her five daughters and son. “The north is gone,” she said. “It will never be safe again.”
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony