KE asks NA speaker to probe ‘threats’ during NA committee meeting
Sources told The News that company has written letter addressed to Speaker Sardar Ayaz Sadiq
ISLAMABAD: K-Electric has formally requested the National Assembly Speaker to look into what it describes as an “unfortunate incident” during a parliamentary committee meeting this week, where its CEO was allegedly threatened by an MNA after refusing to withdraw a pending court case.
Sources told The News that the company has written a letter addressed to Speaker Sardar Ayaz Sadiq. Imran Qureshi, Chief Regulatory Affairs Officer of K-Electric, detailed a tense exchange that took place during the May 27 meeting of the National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Industries and Production.
It was noted that while responding to questions regarding a 2021 government-announced industrial electricity package — currently under litigation — K-Electric’s CEO was pressed by committee members to withdraw the case from the Islamabad High Court. The utility maintained that the matter was sub judice and could not be unilaterally withdrawn.
It highlights that during this discussion, MNA Syed Ali Raza Gilani allegedly interrupted the CEO and, “threatened him with dire consequences” for not complying with the committee’s demand. The CEO, he added, was instructed by the committee chair to leave the meeting to de-escalate tensions, while KE’s senior officials stayed behind to support the committee’s work.
K-Electric’s CEO appeared in person with his senior team to respond to the committee questions but requested the option to attend future meetings online, noting that other participants were allowed to join virtually. Responding to criticism that KE was not giving due importance to the session, the CEO said he had skipped a concurrent board meeting to prioritise the committee hearing.
It is unfortunate that a private company’s chief, who came to cooperate with a parliamentary body, was subjected to aggression and threats. Qureshi urged and requested the Speaker to take notice of the incident. He also attached minutes of a previous mediation committee to reinforce that no agreement had been made to withdraw the litigation.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again