Goods transporters end strike after reaching deal with Karachi commissioner
KARACHI: Goods transporters in Karachi called off their strike on Saturday following successful negotiations between Karachi Commissioner Syed Hassan Naqvi and representatives of the transporters.
The commissioner agreed to grant a six-month extension for transporters to ensure the fitness of their vehicles.
Several goods transport associations had launched the strike in protest against ongoing disagreements with the Sindh government over vehicle fitness regulations, parking arrangements at port premises and truck terminals.
The strike had paralysed activity at the city’s two main ports and container terminals, raising concerns that perishable goods in containers could spoil and imported consignments might incur demurrage charges in US dollars.
However, following successful talks with the commissioner, the transporters officially announced an end to their strike. It was agreed that transporters would gradually ensure the fitness of their vehicles, with all vehicles expected to fully comply with regulations within six months.
Chairperson of the Car Carrier Goods Transporters Association Imdad Naqvi told The News that the strike had been called off.
Following the announcement, commercial activity resumed at Karachi’s ports, clearing bottlenecks in the import and export processes.
-
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’ -
Poll Reveals Majority Of Americans' Views On Bad Bunny